School-Aged Children

Parents of Middle Schoolers

I have a 14 year old SS who was letting his grades slip because he just wasn't turning in assignments so we got that problem corrected by telling his study hall teacher he is not allowed to play basketball during study hall anymore so by doing this it gave him more time to get his work done at school and he has not gotten any zero's since and is back up to A's and B's.  He has always tested out above his grade level and he never needs to study it was his laziness on his homework pulling down his grades.

Now on Tuesday we get an email from his phy ed teacher that he is disruptive in class so his mom and step-dad took away his phone and video games.  Now today we can an email from his English teacher that he is being disruptive and throwing things in class. 

He lives with his mom and step-dad not us but all 4 of us get along and none of us know what to do after this latest email/conversation with his teacher. 

His English teacher said it's not enough trouble for a dentention though so instead she is having him eat lunch with her tomorrow.

Only one month left of school but still there is no excuse for the this and the teachers should not have to deal with this!

Any ideas or thoughts?

Re: Parents of Middle Schoolers

• The kids in DD's school are getting squirrely right now too. 

Is he in any sports or anything to help him blow off steam?  If not, get him into something. 

• Has it been like this all year long? DD#1(13yo) is going through a squirmy phase right now and I think like the other bumpie mentioned, its the time of year. She is a straight A student and is getting very lazy with her work. She has had a project to turn in and has known about it for some time but only wrote a few paragraphs (its due tomorrow) she is rushing around the house as I type this trying to get the project done. Her talking in class has gotten a lot more too but the teacher said that most the other kids are behaving like this as well.

If this is an issue that has been going on all year than obviously something else needs to be addressed or handled differently but if it is just recent, I wouldn't sweat it too much but definately discuss it with him.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I can tell you from a middle school teacher's perspective that if the kid does not have strong and strict discipline at home, it is about 1000x worse at school.  If they start not handing in work and getting make ups, they will expect it all the time and it will become worse in HS.  Time of year does not mean the rules change when it comes to behavior.  I know in my experience, I write up the most people during 4th quarter because they think they have free reign.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • I have one in middle school (and a high schooler and one in elementary). I 100% agree that we need to back the teachers up and support them. But if the teachers don't feel like the issues are that big of a deal to discipline themselves, I'm not sure why they are worth contacting a parent?  I will completely follow up at home with discipline if mine are having issues at school. But how the students act at school IS something the teachers have to deal with and if your ss is not typically a bad kid, then they need to just give him detention or whatever and move on. Sounds like he's just blowing off steam at the end of the year. If it becomes repeated, then the disciplines would stack and he'd find himself with more detentions or worse. If they discipline, so would I. 

As far as the zeros and schoolwork go, there has been a time or two where I realized mine were taking the easy way out. They made good grades, so a few missed grades didn't make a huge impact, they thought. Well, I just made them do the work anyway. And it really sucked because they didn't get a grade for it. Stick out tongue 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"