Detroit Babies

Nursing Tops/Bras - what do you recommend?

I am doing some searching online and figuring out what sort of tops I should have on hand when I get home from the hospital.  I have a larger sized chest, (currently a 38DD).  I know they will just get bigger post delivery.  What tops and bras do you recommend for nursing? 

Also, did you wear these in the hospital or just stayed in your gown?

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nursing Tops/Bras - what do you recommend?

• The best advice I got was to just buy nursing tanks and wear those in the hospital.  Then when your milk comes in (2-5 days later) go have yourself professionally fitted for a nursing bra that fits. 

I wore nursing tanks and had a zip up hoodie with me in the hospital to throw on when we had visitors.  It worked out great.  

24 hours after I had Dayne I stayed in the hospital gown because they came in to check things out every hour or so.  It was easier on everyone to just be in the gown.  After that I changed into the tank top.

P.S - I just bought my nursing tanks from Target - they were very comfy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bravado Tanks are the best. Worth the money.There are usually good coupon codes online.

I had some target ones for right when I came home. As your milk is regulating you tend to leak a lot and need a few spares around just in case and for while you are doing laundry.

• Loading the player...
  • Are you talking about the Gillian O'Malley ones for $17ish?

https://www.target.com/Gilligan-OMalley-Full-Sling-Nursing/dp/B0039IK7BM/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

I was thinking of starting out with these since they are affordable, but wanted some real life recs too.

• This. Don't buy nursing bras now. If you are delivering at RO Beaumont, they have a professional fitter who will come to your room.

Also second the rec on Bravado nursing tanks. I still wear mine and am no longer nursing. I'm on the busty side and these were the only ones that offered enough support.

Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!
  • imageamyvan317:

Are you talking about the Gillian O'Malley ones for $17ish?

https://www.target.com/Gilligan-OMalley-Full-Sling-Nursing/dp/B0039IK7BM/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

I was thinking of starting out with these since they are affordable, but wanted some real life recs too.

This is what I bought.

DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
    We're Finally Three imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz
  • imageBigyellowdog:

This. Don't buy nursing bras now. If you are delivering at RO Beaumont, they have a professional fitter who will come to your room.

What the heck - I didn't get a prof. fitter come to my room when I delivered in Jan, bummer. 

I bought one of those Target nursing bras and thought it was crap, my b00bs were too heavy/big for it and pulled the front down so that the "holes" material was showing. Does that make sense?  I found that nursing tanks didn't give me the support I needed. I wore a sports bra in the hospital after delivery and just yanked it up when I was breastfeeding. I had a sleeping/nursing bra from Kohls that I had too.

• Target makes wonderful nursing tanks.  I wore those in the hospital instead of a bra and at home unless I had to go out to the store or something.

I was a 34DD at delivery and remained that size even after my milk came in and was a 34D until I weaned.  I LOVED the Target nursing bras.  They are so comfortable.  They have a sports bra type that I wore every night to bed.  The price is very reasonable as well.  I would definitely check them out. 

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • imageamyvan317:

Are you talking about the Gillian O'Malley ones for $17ish?

I wore these when I was at home & at night.  I was a 38C I believe & was still about that size after both deliveries.  

For a bra to wear when going outside the house I bought them from JcPenney's & loved them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I delivered at Troy and they didn't have one but referred me to RO. So I went there and she fitted me and it was great. Only problem is, the fitting room is the stock room for their store, so a little weird...
    Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!
  • imageballerina06:

Target makes wonderful nursing tanks.  I wore those in the hospital instead of a bra and at home unless I had to go out to the store or something.

I was a 34DD at delivery and remained that size even after my milk came in and was a 34D until I weaned.  I LOVED the Target nursing bras.  They are so comfortable.  They have a sports bra type that I wore every night to bed.  The price is very reasonable as well.  I would definitely check them out. 

This - exactly!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I have one nursing tank from motherhood, and a couple from Target.  The only problem is that no nursing tank has support, so for someone who isn't used to larger boobs, they were too heavy.  And make sure you have some zip up sweat shirts on hand.  I lived in a nursing tank and zip up shirt for the first month during the day.

I bought nursing bra from motherhood before i delivered, and I just bought it 2 cup sizes larger than what I was.  That worked for me.  Afterwards I bought a few from Target.  I thought the Target ones were more comfy, and they didn't have an underwire.  Shoot!  Target just had a sale two weeks ago on everything.  The bras were $12 and the tanks were $10

Also invest in sports bras.  I wear those after work and on the weekends.  I have a few extra sports bras that I cut holes in, so that they are hands free for my pumping sessions

• Have your hospital LC fit you for your bra size after birth before you go bananas buying things before.  I had bought some tanks/bras inexpensively at Target with my DD and they were WAY too small when my milk came in. 

I stayed in my gown until the day I was discharged, no need to make myself extra laundry.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• I found that it was hard to find a place to measure me that I actually trusted.  Most of the stores I like don't carry nursing bras.  I ended up having success at Bra-vo in Royal Oak.  I would have never figured out my size on my own, and I'm certain that a store like Motherhood would not have had my size in stock.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"