1st Trimester

Anyone else having terrible cold sore outbreaks?

I think they are pregnancy related.  I never got any when I was pregnant with DD, but I have a whole mouth full now.  It's driving me crazy!  Anyone have any suggestions on getting rid of them?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone else having terrible cold sore outbreaks?

• Since your immune system is compromised, it makes sense that it would lead to cold sores. 

I haven't had any from this pregnancy, but I've suffered from them most of my life, and the ONLY thing I've ever found that helps them is Valtrex. Valtrex is works WONDERS! 

Safefetus.com says its safe during pregnancy, but I'd check with your doctor and see if they think its a good idea. If you can get a prescription, its a life saver!

Good luck! 

• amyj63amyj63 member
    so weird that you posted this! When I was 3 weeks I got one. It actually made me take a pregnancy test because I thought it was so weird that I got one and saw that it could be a sign of pregnancy. I used Abreva. I would put it on the cold sore at least 4 times a day and it was gone within a week or so. Good luck! They can be painful :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I take Lysine daily when I take my prenatal vitamin. Doctor said it was ok. I once had around 20 canker sores in my mouth when a virus went through my system in high school when I was stressed out.(it was horrible!)

You can find anywhere that sells vitamins. (I get mine at walmart) Some people's bodies produce it naturally while others may have a deficiency. I probably get 1 sore every 3-4 months when I am stressed out.  I hope this helps!!!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • emadlmaemadlma member
    Valtrex is the way to go. It gets rid of them in a few days versus a week or two. I got a cold sore the day that I got my first BFP and thought I could not take anything. My doctor said it would be fine if I got another one. Good luck!
    Edited because I am an English teacher and that's what we do.
    Pregnancy Ticker 

BFP: 7/20/14  MMC: 8/29/14  D&C: 8/31
    BFP: 12/27/14 MMC: 1/26/15 D&C: 1/29
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• just remember to not kiss people when you have them because its highly contagious...so be careful especially with babies..and if your intimate in the bedroom with your hubby down there...oral herpes is very contagious and people forget because vaginal herpes is talked about much more.
  • babyzepbabyzep member
    I've had them my whole life and they are horrible!!!!  With my DD i had a horrible outbreak that was the worse ever.  My doctor put me on Valtrax about a year ago and I have not had an outbreak since.  I am still taking them with this pregnancy and I have not had an outbreak.  I am so happy I finally got something to help with them.  My doctor says I can take them the entire time so I am happy.
  • Abreva works wonders, I got one at 3.5 weeks and I knew immediately I was pregnant.
    BabyFetus Ticker pregnancy BabyFruit Ticker Hi I'm Angie, I'm 20 and I'm proudly pregnant with my first baby.
  • It's kinda funny you posted this, I just got one yesterday.  It is in the painful, swollen stage.  I know my doc approved using Abreva last pregnancy.  When not pregnant I took lysine to help speed up recovery but I'm not sure if it is safe during pregnancy. 
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • So weird to read this. I have NEVER had a cold sore in my entire life, even with DS. So a few days ago, I have a stupid cold sore come up for the first time ever!!! I wasn't sure if I could take anything either, glad to know we can!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • miababymiababy member

Thanks, Ladies!  I guess I'm not alone!  I called my doctor yesterday, but the nurse never called back.  Not too happy about that, but that's another story!  I have two valtrex from a previous prescription.  I've found conflicting answers online as to it's safety during pregnancy, so I didn't want to take them until I got the okay from my doctor.  Most things I've seen though have said it's believed to be safe so I think I might go ahead and take them.  I've had occasional outbreaks my entire life, but never this bad.  I also have canker sores.  I'm so worried that I'm going to throw up and make them even worse!  I had a ton of nausea the day before my BFP, and mild since then.  I'm so hoping it doesn't get worse, at least until these suckers are cleared up!

Thanks for all your advice! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"