Birth Stories
Options

Nubain

Who has used Nubain for any of their labors?  If you used it, would you again?
? PgAL/PAL Welcome ? My Chart ?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Nubain

• Options
    I was induced April 29th at 6:30 am and labored until 6:30 pm without anything.  I was given nubain a little after 6:30 pm and it made me feel drunk!  As soon as it was given to me I immediately felt drunk.  Inbetween my contractions I felt loopy and then BAM there would be a contraction (the nubain did absolutely NOTHING for my pain; it only made me feel out of it inbetween them).  I was told afterwards it wasn't for pain, but to make me relax, if that's the case then I "guess" it did it's job.  I was "relaxed" in between contractions and then when they hit I couldn't concentrate on my breathing b/c I couldn't think straight from the loopiness!  Just my experience though :)
  • Options

imageBabyTooth:
    I was induced April 29th at 6:30 am and labored until 6:30 pm without anything.  I was given nubain a little after 6:30 pm and it made me feel drunk!  As soon as it was given to me I immediately felt drunk.  Inbetween my contractions I felt loopy and then BAM there would be a contraction (the nubain did absolutely NOTHING for my pain; it only made me feel out of it inbetween them).  I was told afterwards it wasn't for pain, but to make me relax, if that's the case then I "guess" it did it's job.  I was "relaxed" in between contractions and then when they hit I couldn't concentrate on my breathing b/c I couldn't think straight from the loopiness!  Just my experience though :)

My experience was similar.  I labored without meds until 10 cm, at which point I was exhausted and screaming and puking through each contraction.  I had been in some sort of labor (early/active) for about 28 hours at that point.

I asked for something to take the edge off just to get me through to the end and they gave me 5 mg of Nubain.  I was immediately drunk.  DH and the nurses would wake me up and remind me to push during each contraction, I would push, and then I'd pass out again until the next contraction. I'm almost positive that I wouldn't have ended up pushing for 2.5 hours if I hadn't had the Nubain as it seriously slowed me down.

However, at the same time, I was going out of my mind with pain and the Nubain really did help me relax enough (as pp said, it doesn't do much for the pain itself) to get through all of the pushing, several attempts to internally turn LO as he was sunny side up, and some pretty aggressive perineum stretching, so I can't say that it was all bad.  I hate that my memory of my last 2.5 hours of labor is full of gaps but I was in so much pain that I don't know if I'd have been able to get him out without intervention without that mental "reset".  I have an appreciate/hate relationship with it.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was induced and got nubain a few hours before my epi (no pitocin was needed though, so my very painful contractions didn't come on suddenly).  I remember them putting it in the drip, then about a minute later going into laughing hysterics for a little while, then falling into a nice sound sleep.  I would def. use it again if it was offered.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"