Pregnant after IF
Options

Telling after 9 week u/s? What are your thoughts?

I've had two ultrasounds so far and I've been released to my regular OB.  I go for an ultrasound there on May 16.  DH and I really want to tell people after that appointment, but I'm scared.  I also teach 5th grade and I would like to tell my kids before school is out.  What are your thoughts on this?  I'm so excited, but so scared.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Two angel babies 11/09 and 4/10

Re: Telling after 9 week u/s? What are your thoughts?

• Options

That's when we started telling. I was going to wait until 12ish weeks, but all my ultrasounds at the RE were excellent, and I was released to the OB. My RE said after seeing the heartbeat, the risks of miscarriage went down (I know there is still a risk, but we were ready to share our news). I figured at that point, I wanted to celebrate our joy instead of living in fear and secrecy. 

Good luck with your decision! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SAIFW
  • Options

That's when we told as well. It is very exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. But DH and I wanted to share the news plus I was already starting to show!

Good luck!!!

TTC since November 2009. DH diagnosed with sperm antibodies. IUI #1 = BFN IUI #2 = BFN On the road to IVF.... Egg Retrieval Jan 21, 2011 16 eggs retrieved Egg transfer Jan 26, 2011 Only 2 viable eggs transferred. 1 IVF, 1 ICSI IVF #1 = BFP :-) 10/3/11 No heart beat at 38 weeks: Our baby Jack became an angel 12/14/11 = natural BFP Rainbow baby Samantha Jacklyn born8/8/12. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mrs. MoMrs. Mo member
    We told at that point as well. We had already seen the hb twice so we knew we were in a decent position.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    etoyamaetoyama member
    I think if you're comfortable telling people then, then you should go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Our immediate family, close friends, and a few of my coworkers (immediate team members) knew within the first 12 weeks -- these were the people that knew we went through IVF.  

Everyone else found out at at 14.5 weeks, when we announced on Valentine's Day. 

Do whatever you're comfortable with...  For us, those in our inner circle, knew of our IF struggles and were our biggest supporters throughout.  Good Luck!

Mr. & Mrs. ~ 09.08.07

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I am a little bit scarred/jaded from my first pregnancy, but I wouldn't do it. 

My u/s looked great until 10-11 weeks when the doctor told me there was a big problem.  At 12 weeks the MFM dr. all but told me that it was a matter of time.  Lost the baby at about 16 weeks.  It was so much easier to deal with because I hadn't told people.  I can't even imagine going through all of that with everyone knowing. 

I'm not trying to freak you out because the odds are that everything will be just fine.  Based on my experience though, I wouldn't do it.

With my 2nd (current) pregnancy, I told people after my NT scan at 12w1d. 

• Options
    We told after our 7w u/s, so I don't see anything wrong with telling as soon as you feel comfortable.
  • Options

Personally, I wouldnt.

I am also jaded by a "it happened to me" story.  Long story but we were changing OB's  so i went to an OB apt on a Friday and everything was 100% perfect.  Strong HB in the 160's, perfect position, cutie little wiggles, perfect.  I had another OB apt on Monday (3 days later) and there was no HB - it was all over.

We had planned on telling everyone the weekend after the good apt but DD got really sick and we ended up not going to the cookout where we were going to announce then after - post on FB...   so we didnt tell.   I was SO glad I didnt. 

This time around I told my close friends/family that I would want to support me and had been following/supporting my IF journey.  But I think it would be an incredibly difficult thing to explain to a group of children that young if, God forbid, anything were to happen.

TTC#2: septum removed, 2 losses, Stage 2 Endo, thin lining, slight MFI
    iui #5 2/7 + 2/8 = BFP!! 11 dpiui
    Beta #1 2/18 11dpiui= 46, Beta #2 13dpiui 150, Beta #3 16dpiui 584!!
    u/s revealed triplets! Baby B 3rd loss 8w2d. Twins! EDD 10/31/11 * c/s scheduled 10/12/11 My NEW BLOG Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    grazygrazy member
    I also teach fifth grade. I told me students at 13 or 14 weeks. I didn't want to tell them sooner because I was nervous.?
    DS born 7.30.11
  • Options
    HelsHels member

It's totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with. 

We waited until after the NT scan at 12 weeks.  

• Options
    imagetrish212:

I think it's really up to you and if you and your DH feel comfortable telling people, then you should. Congrats on being released and good luck on the 16th!

*Hit's nail on head*

• Options

I agree with everyone who says that you and husband are really the only ones who can decide.  I've told as early as 4 weeks and as late as 17 weeks.

I will say, however, that my miscarriages have had the opposite effect on me from the other posters.  I lost a baby at 14 weeks after seeing the heartbeat many times and having a great NT scan and blood work and it made me realize that you're really not safe at any time during pregnancy and so what are you going to do - wait until you have the baby to tell everyone? 

Being excited and scared are nomal.  Best of luck in your decision.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    We told everyone when we got our BFP, and then when we found out triplets, we call everyone a few days later. SO...it depends on you! There's always a possibility something could happen, but there is for ANY pregnancy...so why keep it in if you're excited! Spread the JOY!!! :)
  • Options

you should do what you feel comfortable with. we told parents right away, siblings at 7wks and close family at 10. we didn't officially announce to everyone else till 13wks. 

good luck!! 

::PAIF/SAIF Welcome::

TTC since July 2008
    IUI 1,2,3 BFN
    IVF #1 C/P, FET 1,2,3 BFN
    IVF#2 BFP

it's a girl!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Swede25Swede25 member
    Having gone through 2 losses, each ultrasound and good thing happening has been such a milestone. BUT, in the beginning I continuously thought about how it was when I told people and then had to "untell" them in the past. Not saying you will have to do that, but just why I didn't feel comfortable letting people outside our immediate families know until we were in 2nd tri.

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

TTC #2 off and on since 7/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"