Northern California Babies
Options

Doula/Natural CB friendly OB recs Berkeley area

Hi ladies,

We will be moving from Texas to the Berkeley/North Oakland area in June.  I will be about 20 weeks pregnant with our second baby then.   I'm looking for recommendations for a natural childbirth friendly OB (the more open they are to things like VBACs, not pushing inductions, etc, the better.)  I'm not having a VBAC, but I just want someone that is open to those types of births.  I would prefer a female but if you have a great male doctor I'm open to hearing about them.  I would also love some doula recs.  And if you have anything to add about the local hospitals, feel free to chime in.  The only one I've heard of is Alta Bates (and that was because of a book I read about midwives.) :) 

Thanks for all of your help and advice in advance.  

Re: Doula/Natural CB friendly OB recs Berkeley area

• Options
    bunchbunch member

I had Dr Nicole Jeffrey-Starr (formerly with OB-Gyn Partners for Health) at Alta Bates and loved everything about her.  I ended up delivering with one of the other OB's from Partners for Health and also really really liked them!  So, if you are looking for an OB- I'd check out their recs.  You might want to look at https://parents.berkeley.edu/  Berkeley Parents Network website- sort of a Berkeley area yelp.

Also, just out of curiosity, if you or your spouse are headed to Haas, I've got loads of info for you- as that was me a couple of years ago!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    bunchbunch member
    We also have a local doula who might be able to point in the direction of some other OB's she's worked with.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our doula was Laurel Coates - www.baydoula.com  .  She is also studying to be a midwife.  Alta Bates is very accomodating for natural childbirth (at least that was my experience) and having our doula was no problem.  My OB was Dr. Huibonhoa, who is awesome but very hard to get an appt with if you aren't already her patient.
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member
    Alta Bates isn't as natural birth friendly as it used to be, but it's better than most.  There are 3 midwives with permissions there and a few OBs who are somewhat natural birth friendly.  I'd be happy to give recommendations and suggest some to avoid as well.  You can PM or email me - teri at harmonydoula.com
  • Options

welcome!  I second the berkeley parents network - it's not the most visually pleasing site but very very informative/useful (kind of reminds me of craigslist in that way)

also, I have no personal experience with them but I drive by their sign every week, near cedar and shattuck (in north berkeley) for a place called BirthWays or Birth Ways, natural birth oriented center or something like that - might want to check them out!!  

"Oh come on Gromit, a bit more, you know... alluring!!" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the recs girls!  We aren't coming for school.  DH will be working in the financial district and we liked the feel of the area (being able to live in a neighborhood with a backyard but being able to walk to stores and restaurants, plus decent commute.)  We are looking forward to getting out there.
  • Options

I am a doula ( and homebirth midwife) and am taking clients. When are you due?

Alta Bates can be good, but Highland is also a good option. Less pretty, but they have midwives there.

Have an easier than expected move!

AManda

www.amandaelderkin.net

• Options
    My OB was very enthusiastic about my natural childbirth plan, and really was very encouraging including of my hypnobirth class. She made sure I had a room with a jazcuzzi which was what I requested. She didn't try to push me to induce (until of course there were real indications) and when I needed my Cesarean Section (unfortunately), she came in to do it even though she was not on call. Her name is Angelyn Thomas, with Sutter East Bay OB/Gyn, 510-204-8180, one of her partners, Jill Foley is also great, I liked her a lot too when she came to round on me in the hospital. Also Alta Bates. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"