July 2011 Moms
Options

failed glucose test

1 hour test was on Saturday morning and just got the call that I failed.  So tomorrow I have to schedule the 3 hour test. 

I was fine with DS. So on one hand this comes as a bit of a shock. On the other hand, I've been so durn depressed about everything in general that this is just one more thing I'm doing wrong.  I'm fully expecting to fail the 3 hour, so anyone with experience with GD, please feel free to share what I'm (albeit potentially) in for...

DS1 9/2008 * DD 8/2011 * EDD DS2 3/2016

Re: failed glucose test

• Options
    Don't panic yet.  I failed my first glucose and I was almost positive that the 3 hour test would show that I had gd.  The doctor called yesterday to say that I passed my test!   
  • Options

I totally felt the same way.  I had the feeling I'd fail the 1 hour because my son was big when he was born (10lb, 5oz) or that they would put me on the GD diet because he was so big (I'm 5'4).  I was depressed about lots of things too, mostly because I have to work full time through this pregnancy when I was home from 12 weeks on with DS. Sure enough I failed.  Took the 3 hour test and was scared, not touching an ounce of sugar the day before...test came back and I had totally passed!!!  It made my day.  I went home and had a big bowl of ice cream. :) 

Good luck!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely don't freak out yet. I failed my 1 hour (158) and passed my 3 hour.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Thanks for the encouragement!  I go back tomorrow morning for the 3-hour, so I guess I'll shelve the worry until afterwards!

• Options

Depending on where your sugars were, you may not need to worry too much.  What number did they say it was? 

I have GD and its not so bad.  It sounds so much worse that it really is.  Well its a bit of a pain if you eat a lot of carbs on a regular basis.  Basically, if you have GD, you will need to limit your total (not net) carb intake, watch portion sizes and eat whole grains instead of the regular stuff.  Things with a lot of carbs are breads, pastas, and fruits.  Beans, nuts, dairy products and some other veggies have carbs, too but are not as high as the other stuff.  I tracked my nutrition before getting preggo so it wasn't that big of an adjustment to track carbs.  I use sparkpeople.com for nutrition tracking.  I tried their babyfit site, but that didn't allow for modifications to the nutritional intake.  Plus, there are a lot of low carb options for things out there since the low carb diet craze.  Breyers makes carb smart ice cream which satisfies my sweet tooth.  Substitutions are key to keeping full and satisfied.  Whole grain rice and pasta are good you can still eat fruits, just in moderation.   

You will also need to get your blood sugar checked regularly.  Some doctors provide you with a glucometer to do it yourself and some check your blood sugars every so often (weekly, I think) at the office.  I do it myself and check mine first thing in the morning and 2 hours after each meal.  It really doesn't hurt too bad, but it can be a pain when you're figuring the glucometer out and have to stick yourself a few times to get it right. 

You will probably have an appointment with a nutritionist. They will give you an understanding of what foods are okay and which are best to stay away from or limit.  Mine told me to shoot for 20 carbs for breakfast, 45-60 for lunch, 45-60 for dinner and 15-20 for a snack. 

One thing though before you take your 3 hour, don't start out cutting carbs.  I asked my doc and she said that it may lower by blood sugar, but it could skew the results.  She told me to eat normally, but don't over do the sweets, but anything else might result in undiagnosed GD which is not a good thing. 

Having GD puts you at risk for a bigger baby.  It also puts you at higher risk for preeclampsia.  But if you eat well, get light exercise in, and your sugars are fine, you should be just fine.  If you need any more info, or good substitutions, let me know. 

BabyName Ticker Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Lissie - thank you so much for sharing your experience with GD!  I think part of my dread is just how many carbs we consume (I substitute whole wheat as much as possible, but I also have a 2 year old that is going through a "noodles" phase, so we have them often).  Anyway, thanks again for the perspective, I haven't gotten any information from my doctor's, other than the phone call from the nurse that I have to take the other test.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"