3rd Trimester

does hard candy during labor have to be sugar free?

I think I heard this somewhere but I am not sure whether it is true or why it needs to be sugar free?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: does hard candy during labor have to be sugar free?

• No it doesn't. They told us to buy sour lollipops for labor (sour to stimulate saliva, a lollipop so you there's a stick and you don't choke on hard candy)   And just letting you know, don't be disappointed if you don't eat them.  The last thing I wanted to do during labor was to eat or suck on a lollipop. You're just too focused on labor. 
  • Its recomended because sugar can make you thirsty
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan to eat and drink as I desire in labour. Yes, this could be "not at all", but until hard labour sets in, I'd much rather drink water or Gatorade than be on an IV.

There is no reason to avoid sugar. That's like refusing to eat then running a marathon. Even my hospital serves popsicles in labour.

• I took 2 licks of my lollypop and threw up. Wanted nothing to do with it.

Yuck. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One of the nurses recommended I drink a coke to get a sugar/caffeine bump because after two hours of hard pushing I was starting to fall apart.
  • i've heard that too and with my son i brought 2 bags of sugar free candy.  i bought one bag of different flavored life savers and then another bag of peppermint life savers.  i was glad i did because my birth team and i ate them through out my 24 hour labor :)
  • imagejustme04:
    Its recommended because sugar can make you thirsty
    Yes
    imageimage
  • imagetokenhoser:

I plan to eat and drink as I desire in labour. Yes, this could be "not at all", but until hard labour sets in, I'd much rather drink water or Gatorade than be on an IV.

There is no reason to avoid sugar. That's like refusing to eat then running a marathon. Even my hospital serves popsicles in labour.

I tried to eat during labor (only gram crackers) since I started so early in the morning and the nurse told me the body can't digest food while contracting so **warning TMI**: I ended up throwing up everything I tried to eat that day until after I delivered and I was STARVING by that time 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wanted nothing to do with food during labor the first time until it was done and over.

They tried candy and I gagged.

Ice Chips were my new love though!

• darmcadarmca member
    I can't see why it would have to be. A lot of people don't feel comfortable eating fake sugars while pregnant (myself included) so I don't think that would be right.
  • I had to have suckers so they had a stick to grab. I brought dum dums when I was in labor with DD.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• imagetokenhoser:

I plan to eat and drink as I desire in labour. Yes, this could be "not at all", but until hard labour sets in, I'd much rather drink water or Gatorade than be on an IV.

Hun, God-bless you, really.  I LOVE food, and wasn't scared of a burger during my pregnancy...the LAST thing i wanted to do during labor is eat.  And I had brought snacks (I know they don't feed hubs during my stay, and i like to have provisions)...i was ALL set with food.  To be fair, i was on an IV, so I didn't need liquids.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"