Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How long did it take for your milk supply to even out?

Right now I'm pumping every 3hrs, (I'm exclusively pumping). About 2 hours after I pump, my boobs are huge, rock hard and hurt!  Then when I start pumping, the letdown is soooo painful!  I'm pumping about 5 oz every time, but she is only eating about 1.5 oz. (she is only 4 days old)  I know its good to pump more than they need to get your supply going, and build up a "stock" in the freezer.  But I'm ready for my boobs not to feel like this every couple of hours!  Should I pump less each time?  pump less often?  Or just keep doing what I'm doing?  Opinions and experience appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Kristina (Hayden Reese, born 4.27.11)

Re: How long did it take for your milk supply to even out?

• drpaynedrpayne member
    Pumping more than you need will keep you producing more than you need. Your body probably thinks that you're nursing twins:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedrpayne:
    Pumping more than you need will keep you producing more than you need. Your body probably thinks that you're nursing twins:)

Ditto! You are likely putting yourself into an over-supply with that much pumping. Maybe just pump a very short time to just relieve your pain, but not 5 ounces every time. That's a lot in addition to feeding so often.

I am jealous of your supply though. I never get more than an ounce or two when I pump and my DD is 5.5 weeks old.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• Loading the player...
  • This happened to me too.  I ended up with mastitis.  I built up a good supply in the freezer.  I took advice from a good friend and she said  milk supply would eventually even out but at the time I didn't believe her becase i so miserable. BUT SHE WAS RIGHT!

I was pumping every morning and getting 5oz on both breasts..10 oz total! I slowly stopped pumping, little by little. If ur pumping 15 min u would go down to 10 to 8 to 5 and so on.  Eventually stop. But your milk supply will slow down. Your breasts are just really happy right now!  Mine evend out around 4 wks. Take comfort, it will get better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am also exclusively pumping, and I pump right before she eats.  I never had the problem of pain or anything like that (I'm pretty well built-I know they say that doesn't matter, but maybe they hold more?) but I also make a lot more than she eats.  I would say only pump when baby eats, and once you have about 2oz stop, at least until it evens out.  Breast milk is supply and demand-the less you pump the less you have.  Once she starts eating more, you can always pump more often until your supply goes up.
    new_mommy
  • The instructions that came with my pump said not to pump more than 2 oz from each breast at a time so I try to stick with that. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BLM10BLM10 member

DS was in the NICU for 10 days and I couldn't hold him for 24 hours. Being away from him delayed my milk coming in until day 7. I was very engorged and could pump 8 ounces in less than 10 minutes. By day 10 it was mostly evened out but by day 15 I felt like it was regulated and I knew what to expect when I nursed or pumped. However, I took advantage of the oversupply and stocked the freezer. When it starts to taper a bit (and it will), you can scale down how much and how long you pump. You will want to keep up your supply if you have to pump to return to work because the pump doesn't "demand" as much as baby.

• I'm EPing too - when my milk came in I had a ton. On days 4-7 I was getting 6-8oz every 3 hours. My boobs hurt, were HUGE, and leaked like crazy. I had an oversupply and multiple fast letdowns which is/was hampering our attempts to transfer to BFing. After reading through LLLI and Kellymom I decided to start block pumping (1 breast each pumping session, alternating each session), still every 3 hours until the breast is empty/totally soft (12-15 minutes). I still usually have the fast letdowns, but my supply is so much better - about 2-3oz per pumping. My goal is to match my LOs needs and mimic her feeding; still trying to transition to BFing.

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"