September 2011 Moms

Is this a horrible name? Honesty please...

Hey Ladies,

Question--my husband and I found out that we are having a boy, and we LOVE the name Lincoln. We've considered other names, and it's the only one we come back to all the time.

The problem is that no one, and I mean no one seems to like it! Family and friends always suggest other names, and even those people who you think you can count on for a sympathy "Aw, that's cute!" let us down. 

We need to know what makes the name Lincoln so horrible! We definitely don't want our son to get made fun of! Are we crazy or is everyone else? Help, please :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Is this a horrible name? Honesty please...

• I actually really like it, it is different but not out there. Do you have a middle name in mind?
    <a href=
  • All I can think of is "Abraham Lincoln" when I hear it. Just NMS.

But it's your son! Name him whatever you want! There will always be dissenters.  

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks! Yes, Lincoln David
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • As long as your last name isn't Logs or Abraham its a great name IMO!
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wedding Anniversary: August 7th 2010 BFP: December 22nd 2010 Beautiful Little Birthday: August 30th 2011

BLOG.

• I like it! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I Like it because it is different.. And honestly, when your little boy is growing up and his personality is developing...he will be too cute for your family and friends to NOT fall in love with the name. I do think of Abraham, but there is always room for 2 great leaders!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Abe Lincoln was a great president but I don't like the name for a child. Too strong an association for me
  • It's not horrible at all! I have a friend who has a little man Lincoln and everyone seems to like it. I am sorry your friends/family aren't as receptive.. I would say this to them: "Well.. I'm happy you aren't a fan, because then I won't have to fight you for the name" :)
  • I like it...go for it..
  • I like it!! I also think it's unique and not too out there. I'm not so sure that I like the name combo as I think it flows better David Lincoln IMO. Good luck =D
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I like it. I wouldn't use it personally, but I like when I hear the name.
  • NMS, but I don't hate or think it's a horrible name.  If you love it, then use it!
  • acaveracaver member

I have a friend at work who's son is named Lincoln and her last name is Kennedy.  I think its a lovely name and as far as I know no one has ever commented to her about the name or anything. 

• imagesunflower8710:
    As long as your last name isn't Logs or Abraham its a great name IMO!

This made me giggle. My LN is Marquis.. So I have to stay away from Names like Diamond, Licoln, ect..

• Thanks everyone for your input! My husband and I really appreciate it and I think we're gonna go for it :) Best of luck picking out your names if you haven't already!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've heard worse. Nothing wrong with Lincoln. I can honestly say that it is a very nice name. And not common at all which I like more! 
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • I really like it & I am sure your family will too once they meet your lil man, do your best to ignore thier opinions right now
  • GinkeezGinkeez member

I don't see anything wrong with Lincoln.  There is a boy named Lincoln that goes to my church and I have always liked it.  You should name your child what you want to name your child, and it doesn't matter if nobody loves it like you do.  As long as it isn't some hideous name that will scar your child for life.  Lincoln is a perfectly normal name.  I don't see how anyone could think Lincoln was inappropriate.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Missed miscarriage discovered at 16 weeks on 10/11/10. Baby measuring 12 weeks. Natural miscarriage 10/12/10. We will miss you forever. Chemical pregnancy on June 2012.
  • Love it!
  • I'm very finicky about names and I actually like Lincoln, I say go for it! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love the name Lincoln. If our friends didn't steal it first, it would TOTALLY be on our boy name list!!
    "It's not what you look at that matters...it's what you see." Married 9.24.2005 DS born 5.2.2007 DD born 8.26.2011 imageimage
  • valzeevalzee member

I like it too, my DH actually keeps bringing it up as a possibility for our LO and it's growing on me. It would be his middle name, but that's what he would go by.

The name Abel is also high on my list, so I'm into old, unusual names that haven't been around for a while. 

• If my LO is a girl she will have a president's name as well, Kennedy. So I'm sure there will be a lot of, "like the president?" in her life. When it comes down to it though I love the name. I say go for it! I've even joked with DH if we have another girl to name her Reagan and start a presidential theme!

• What about the name Laken? I have a friend named Laken and people always confuse the name with Lincoln. So, it sounds similar, but I think Laken is a little prettier.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • This is why we aren't telling anybody (except TB) our name choices.

Lincoln is a fine name. It's your child, go with what you want. Everybody else will like the name  once the baby is here. And if not, oh well. They will get over it.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Lincoln is an adorable name! I love it. :) It has wonderful associations and is uncommon enough that he'll usually be the only boy with his name in class, but not so different that people will struggle with it. It's such a good choice!

When we told my Dad and sister our little boy's name (R?n?n), Dad said that it "sounds like the noise you make in the bathroom in the morning" and my sister was laughing so hard she started snorting. I just told them that they could get used to his name or they could get used to not seeing my son.

People suck sometimes, but it doesn't mean that you have to change the name that YOU love for YOUR child. If they really have a problem with your son's name, you're not forcing them to spend time with him.  

• EnamiEnami member
    My friend's sister named her boys Lincoln and Orion. They are a bunch of Zelda fans, and call him "Link" for short.
    -A well-tended garden is indicative of a well-tended soul.-
    image  image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • EnamiEnami member
    imagevalzee:

I like it too, my DH actually keeps bringing it up as a possibility for our LO and it's growing on me. It would be his middle name, but that's what he would go by.

The name Abel is also high on my list, so I'm into old, unusual names that haven't been around for a while. 

My FI name is "Enoch" as in "son of Jared son of Seth son of Adam". For some reason he thought we'd start this trend following the pre-deluge names and our son would be Methuselah. O yes, my son, Meth. No way. We live in Amish country, so there's a lot of Abels, Calebs, Jeremiahs, etc... 

-A well-tended garden is indicative of a well-tended soul.-
    image  image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My boss named her youngest Lincoln. If you all like it then go with it, I don't think it's an out of the ordinary name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I like Lincoln a lot actually. Don't let others sway you in any way, choose a name you and your DH both like. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"