Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Can LO's feet touch seat in car?

Is it OK if DD's feet hit the back seat when she's in her infant seat? She's about an inch away right now. My owner's manual says that the graco snugride 35 is OK up to 32 inches, but I think that my DD has longer legs. And, I just spent, like, 20 minutes on car-seat.org trying to figure this out. All I learned on that site is that there are some serious carseat lovers out there. 

Help? 

Re: Can LO's feet touch seat in car?

• Options

It's fine.  As long as she's under 32 inches she's safe. The main concern is the proper protection of the head and neck which are the most vulnerable areas. The feet touching shouldn't be a problem.

Disclaimer: this is just based on what I've read, I don't have any documentation to back it up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

As long as she's under the maximum height then she's perfectly safe, no matter how long her legs are.

This of it like this:  In the event of an accident, would you rather have her suffer broken leg(s) from RF or a spinal/neck injury from premature FF?

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

yep.  I talked to my pedi about it at DD's 6 month appt.  She said the feet will generally go over and LO will be kicking the back seat all the time.  It's only the head that matters. 

• Options
    imageMrsLacy:

As long as she's under the maximum height then she's perfectly safe, no matter how long her legs are.

This of it like this:  In the event of an accident, would you rather have her suffer broken leg(s) from RF or a spinal/neck injury from premature FF?

Well, I don't want anything to break... so I am wondering if it is time to get the convertible seat now? Rear-facing, of course. 

• Options
    imageHRMJPC:
    imageMrsLacy:

Well, I don't want anything to break... so I am wondering if it is time to get the convertible seat now? Rear-facing, of course. 

I meant it as in "which is the lesser evil?".  Of course we don't want anything to break at all :)

Switching would just depend on how you feel.  I switched at 5 months but I know people who LO's are over a year and they still use the infant seat because they have yet to grow out of it. 

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Options
    imageMrsLacy:
    imageHRMJPC:
    imageMrsLacy:

I meant it as in "which is the lesser evil?".  Of course we don't want anything to break at all :)

Switching would just depend on how you feel.  I switched at 5 months but I know people who LO's are over a year and they still use the infant seat because they have yet to grow out of it. 

their feet will touch the back seat in the convertable in time...your child should be rear facing until 2 years old now!! we switched at 3 months but that was because our convertable is so much more comfortable for the lo it has alot more padding and what not.

• Options
    Well considering the new rear facing car seat guidelines... There will probably be no option once LO is bigger.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    RitaT22RitaT22 member
    Yes, it is fine if your LO's feet touch the seat. When he/she gets older, their legs will bend so that they are sitting criss-cross.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"