Eco-Friendly Family

Hi from a newbie :)

Since I got preggo I've been trying to be more eco (and wallet) friendly.  We are going to cloth diaper, I've got cloth wipes, I've made reusable unpaper towels (I'm actually wetting my hands at making/selling them and napkins for friends for now), we use a reusable sponge, and I got reusable nursing pads for breastfeeding, and reusable momma pads, too.  Oh, and I've got some reusable sandwich wraps, too. 

Is there anything else I can "reuse/wash" that I'm not thinking about that would be environmentally and wallet friendly? (Even if the initial investment isn't super cheap?).

I'm going back to work after baby, but will be going back with reduced hours, so anything to save money would be awesome!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hi from a newbie :)

• Some more changes to consider would be to make your own laundry detergent and household cleaners!  :)  Welcome!
  • imageSassy_Cassie:
    Some more changes to consider would be to make your own laundry detergent and household cleaners!  :)  Welcome!

Vinegar and water for cleaner, and the Eco Friendly Family Blog detergent for clothes are great!

Also, line drying saves lots of energy!

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome! Ditto the cleaner. I use vinegar and baking soda on everything. Works wonders. Can you grow a garden?
  • Homemade cleaners are a great way to save $$ - and I feel so much better that my DS's aren't being exposed to magic bubbles, etc.
  • Welcome & congrats!
    Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Welcome to the board!!! It sounds like you have already made a bunch of EF changes in your lives.  I agree with other posters that making own cleaners is a way to save money.  I haven't made many myself but I do use all EF cleaners and I have limited the amount and quantity I use.  I started to use Rockin Green on my diapers and now I have learned that you can use Rockin Green to clean just about anything. A bag is $13 and lasts FOREVER. 

If you want to eat organic a co op is a good way to save money.  I know I get all my produce and a lot of pantry items at one and its way cheaper than whole foods etc but the real savings is when they have a special on something I will buy in bulk and freeze if necessary. 

Brestfeeding is a huge way to save money so do that as long as you can. Also buy a lot of baby items used.  I know with your first child you will want certain things new but as for toys I always buy all mine used.  It saves a ton of money and DS doesn't know the difference and no one else does either. Good luck!!

• Wow, thank you ladies for such a warm welcome! We do have a garden.  Last summer we put in 4 square foot 4x4 gardens.  This year I was on modified bedrest and I was able to sit down and weed and replant our spring garden square.  I am soo excited to eat fresh salads again (plus we got so much "bonus" lettuce popping up EVERYWHERE in the garden!). 

There aren't any coops where I live, sadly - Im' in major farm country, but its not "Crunchy" here!! My old town we belonged to one, and really, really enjoyed it.  I'll certainly have to try making my own cleaners/detergents.  I think I can get most things at my local walmart/target (hopefully!).

Thank you again for your recommendations! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"