Breastfeeding

BM storage question

I just started pumping to have a few bottles on hand in case I need to leave DS with someone while I go someplace. My first session I only pumped from one breast as he had just eaten off the other. I got 1.5 oz out of it. I put this in a storage bag and put it in the fridge for now. I'll probably just pump again tomorrow.

Should I keep each pumping session in it's own bag or should I combine them to get a decent amount?

How much roughly would I give a newborn in a bottle if I have to leave him?

If I pump both breasts, do I combine the milk collected or keep each breast in a separate bag?

I'm not looking to have a huge stash, just some milk available for unexpected times when I might not be able to be there when he needs to eat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BM storage question

• It's ok to combine...see this link for more info...

https://www.thebabydepartment.com/feeding/breast-milk-storage.aspx

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRunningGal900:

I just started pumping to have a few bottles on hand in case I need to leave DS with someone while I go someplace. My first session I only pumped from one breast as he had just eaten off the other. I got 1.5 oz out of it. I put this in a storage bag and put it in the fridge for now. I'll probably just pump again tomorrow.

Should I keep each pumping session in it's own bag or should I combine them to get a decent amount? You can combine from each pumping session but it must all be the same temperature. I usually combine from one day only. If you combine days, you must date it from the earliest date.

How much roughly would I give a newborn in a bottle if I have to leave him? I think they'll take about 1 oz per hour (see www.kellymom.com for more info). I used to give LO about 2.5 ounces.

If I pump both breasts, do I combine the milk collected or keep each breast in a separate bag? You can combine the breasts, but it's better to freeze in small amounts. I do anywhere from 1 to 3 ounces per bag. This works because sometimes LO wants a 3 oz bottle, sometimes 2 and since you can't reheat, I don't want the left over to go to waste. I put smaller bottles together to help with this. If it's in the fridge though, I store in any amount and just heat what I pour in the bottle. 

I'm not looking to have a huge stash, just some milk available for unexpected times when I might not be able to be there when he needs to eat.

Check out Kellymom though - lots of great info! 

• Loading the player...
  • My LC told me it was ok to combine as long as the milk was the same temperature. So if its milk from different session wait until the newer milk has gotten cold in the fridge and then combine it with the older milk. Milk from different breasts, but the same pumping session can be combined immediately (and then put in the fridge to cool and be combined with earlier sessions when necessary).

DD could only take 2 oz at around 5 weeks when we gave her the first bottle.

I should add, i always froze in 2 oz increments. that way the most you're ever going to waste is 1 oz.

2.5 yrs TTC #1 - DX = Stage IV Endo, Lap performed Jan 2010
    TTC #1 - May 2010 - IUI #3: BFP 
    TTC #2 - May 2012 -IUI #2: BFP
    TTC #3 - Jan 2013 -Surprise BFP!
    Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"