November 2011 Moms

Overwhelmed by baby 'stuff'

DH and I went browsing at our Babies R Us today, we haven't looked at anything yet and just wanted to look around at all the stuff. It was overwhelming.

I would say we spent almost an hour playing around with strollers, neither of us has ever used a stroller before, we couldn't believe how complicated some of them were. I don't know how in the world people make decisions. 

Anyone else feeling the same way?

Baby Girl Lennon born sleeping 6-18-11 Baby Boy Anderson born healthy and happy 8-17-12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Overwhelmed by baby 'stuff'

• Yeah, BRU is overwhelming in so many ways!  When we register I am bringing a friend that has 2 children already to help me figure out what we really need and what we don't. 
  • Right there with ya.  I bought Baby Bargins 9th ed from Amazon.  Its got all kinds of suggestions on what you really need and what you don't and how to find the best deals.  DH and I have been taking turns reading it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for reminding me about that book...headed to amazon..

Baby Girl Lennon born sleeping 6-18-11 Baby Boy Anderson born healthy and happy 8-17-12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • YES!  I just got Baby Bargains too and it's still a lot.  We browsed around at cribs today and it's hard to find all the information that BB says to look for!  I forsee many a late night researching...
    It's a Boy!! Baby #1 - Born 11/2/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That baby bargain book was a life saver and I am still using it even after my LO was born.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Babies R Us scares me. I have no intention of registering there because it's just not organized enough for my OCD. I have done all my research online and registered at Target. I have only been in Babies R Us for Preggie Pops and Preggie Drops and I cried at the register. Not my best moment. It is overwhelming.

I sat in the baby's "nursery" yesterday and just wondered how it was going to all come together.

Talk to friends who have recently had babies, use their strollers, ask them to show you how they work and what they like and don't like. That way you get real life advice from the people you know and trust.

• The baby stuff is overwhelming. I already had a DS but since it was 7 years ago  I just got rid of everything so I am starting over. I also think it's hard because not all baby's like all the baby gear so you could buy a swing and your little one will not like it or use it. I use BB for my last child and will use it again. 

Go to the stores to register as you will get extra goodies. Even if you only put a few items on the registry they understand the overwhelming issue.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagesavvyash:
    Right there with ya.  I bought Baby Bargins 9th ed from Amazon.  Its got all kinds of suggestions on what you really need and what you don't and how to find the best deals.  DH and I have been taking turns reading it. 

I have to agree with the value of this book.  I know relatively little about babies and all of the stuff that goes with them, but this book has at least created some focus for me.  I started with reading about the thing that is my top priority--the car seat--and I am working down my priority list from there, although I can't say that DH is reading it with me.  He will trust me, though, to read it and make the decisions--or I will ask him to read about something if I can't decide. :)

Good luck!  It is so overwhelming! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • momtoo4momtoo4 member

This will be baby number four for me and I have to say I was very ovewhelmed as well.

DH and I decided to "stop in" and take a look around yesterday afternoon after an an hour and a half I was ready to leave. I don't remember having all those options when my first three came along.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If it makes you feel any better, I get overwhelmed in a Bed, Bath and Beyond as well! 

Sometimes it's worth going to a smaller boutiquey store or target or the baby section at Burlington Coat Factory, that has a more limited selection, to get a sense of what things you're looking at, and then make your list and decide later wherever you want to buy things. 

Also, if you don't have the funds, keep in mind things can be bought at resale shops like Once Upon a Child. Often kids like or don't like certain equipment, so it get resold almost new. Or borrow from others.

Our last child was 5 years ago and we walked through the Babies R Us section at Toys R Us and the sippy cups and bottles looked "space age" to us with all the stainless steel and such. The designs of things look so different!  

• imagejjswife08:
    Yeah, BRU is overwhelming in so many ways!  When we register I am bringing a friend that has 2 children already to help me figure out what we really need and what we don't. 

I went to Target and BRU, today. It was very overwhelming but I am doing just this. My friend said that she has tried out pretty much all of it with her two kids so DH is staying behind when I go register.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • ONe more comment... I did a price comparison with a spreadsheet and BRU is higher than Target on all items and Target is higher than Walmart on all items. Just figured I would share so that you will keep your guest in mind when registering. However, I will be getting my safety supplies and breast feeding items at BRU.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"