Natural Birth

"40 weeks" questions

I need help understanding the duration of gestation.  Sounds like a strange question at this point in my pregnancy, I know.  ;-) 

I am 40+ weeks pregnant (due date was 4/27) according to my doctor.  He calculates by first day of LMP which was July 18 for me.  However, I KNOW I conceived on August 4 (my husband works out of town, I know when I ovulated and he was only in town for a very small window of time).  So, if you calculate 40 weeks from August 4 - I would have a due date of May 11. 

This normally wouldn't be a big deal - but I'm trying to decide how long to wait before I allow induction.  Since my hospital doesn't use cervadil (only cytotec) and my cervix is closed/not effaced yet - I know that the resulting use of pitocin for induction would likely be a c-section.  And I'm REALLY trying to avoid surgery. 

So, by my doctors due date if I wait until 2 weeks after May 11 I'll be 44 weeks pregnant - which clearly isn't going to work.  But is it safe to wait to 2 weeks after May 11 since that is *really* 40 weeks of pregnancy?  I need some advice.  I'm getting antsy and impatient...and just want to do the right thing for me and baby. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: "40 weeks" questions

•  Answer from the NB lurker  Wink

the 40 weeks that doctors use is calculated from the first day of your last period, so weeks 1 and 2 are preconception.

• Since I charted both pregnancy cycles, I've gone by my ovulation date and just gave my midwife an "adjusted" LMP date based on that (she knows I chart, and is fine with my adjusted date, since it is more accurate than LMP).  When you have that big of a discrepancy, I'd definitely let your doctor know and tell him your concerns about being induced before your based-on-ovulation EDD.  Usually this sort of thing works itself out when you have an ultrasound -- they'll see that you're measuring "behind" two weeks and will adjust your EDD.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I have been measuring on target since the first ultrasound.  My doctor is sticking with the 4/27 due date - but he's not the one who will be laying on the operating table if the induction fails.  ;-) 

• when did you have your first US ?if it was early those are very accurate and if you were 2 weeks off then you wouldn't have seen something if it was an early US

I wouldn't go past 2 weeks past the Dr's due date if you had an early US

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• flyer23flyer23 member

Your EDD is 38 weeks after your conception date, not 40 weeks.

I plugged a conception date of August 4 into this calculator: https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-due-date-calculator

And it gave a due date of... April 27 Smile

Plugging in a LMP of July 18 gives an EDD of April 24, not April 27, so it sounds like your doctor has already taken your conception date into account.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• If you know your date of conception I would tell your doctor and be proactive.  This is YOUR baby not his.  No offense but he has to have his best interest first....liability. Even if your doctor want to do an induction (which I would NOT suggest Cytotec due to it's side effects of Uterine Rupture, Placenta Abruption, and maternal death) There is  no way to turn "off" Cytotec once it's placed in the vagina, it's there. Pitocin can at least be turned off.

I would listen to my instincts. Babies all gestate at different rates. Some need extra time gestating and some don't.  More and more babies are being born prematurely because of inductions due to wrong due dates.  Also, the last few weeks are very important!!  Studies have shown that premature babies have more learning disabilities, adhd, dyslexia. The best chance you can give them is letting them come out on their own time, given that they are nice and healthy in there. If you are a first time mom then your average gestation is 8 days longer than 40 week.s Second babies are 5 days longer.

Another note, as a mentor taught me, "We do not give birth by numbers." Have faith in your baby and have faith in your body. Stay strong with whatever decision you come to. Take responsibility for your birth, and you will feel confident about the decisions you make.

SAHM of fabulous twin girls, a Hypnobabies intact son, wife to my high school sweetheart. Birth junky and Childbirth Educator. Trying to stay present in the moment in a very busy life!
  • imageOrganicmama314:

If you know your date of conception I would tell your doctor and be proactive.  This is YOUR baby not his.  No offense but he has to have his best interest first....liability. Even if your doctor want to do an induction (which I would NOT suggest Cytotec due to it's side effects of Uterine Rupture, Placenta Abruption, and maternal death) There is  no way to turn "off" Cytotec once it's placed in the vagina, it's there. Pitocin can at least be turned off.

I would listen to my instincts. Babies all gestate at different rates. Some need extra time gestating and some don't.  More and more babies are being born prematurely because of inductions due to wrong due dates.  Also, the last few weeks are very important!!  Studies have shown that premature babies have more learning disabilities, adhd, dyslexia. The best chance you can give them is letting them come out on their own time, given that they are nice and healthy in there. If you are a first time mom then your average gestation is 8 days longer than 40 week.s Second babies are 5 days longer.

Another note, as a mentor taught me, "We do not give birth by numbers." Have faith in your baby and have faith in your body. Stay strong with whatever decision you come to. Take responsibility for your birth, and you will feel confident about the decisions you make.

This, and if you are concerned about health of the baby if you would really be postdate, have NST and ultrasound

• why isn't your doctor using your DOC? Back when I was with an OB they were trying to use my LMP...which I didn't know exactly. So I said- but I know what day I conceived. I was told " That is even better, it is way more accurate". If you haven't told your OB your DOC I would recommend you do so.
  • ok, whoa, hold on a sec.  first of all the pregnancy calculating wheel that most dr's and mw's use is based on LMP, with conception occuring 14 days later.  your LMP was July 18 and you conceived 17 days later (Aug 4).  that is close enough and you typically have the 2 week buffer after your due date. 

relax.  take a deep breath.  i don't know if i would say that the likely outcome of pit would be c/s.  i have seen a lot of successful pit inductions.    i would discuss with your dr the possibility of waiting for an induction until you are 2 weeks past your EDD, may 11.

• Ditto what many of the pp have said. Gestation is 40 weeks calculated from LMP or 38 weeks from date of conception. Based on that information, the dates your dr is using are correct. Just hang tight and see what happens in the next 2 weeks. Remember that average gestation for a first baby is actually 41 weeks, 1 day. Just give it some more time to let your body get ready. But, I would not wait to be 44 weeks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTexas77again:

ok, whoa, hold on a sec.  first of all the pregnancy calculating wheel that most dr's and mw's use is based on LMP, with conception occuring 14 days later.  your LMP was July 18 and you conceived 17 days later (Aug 4).  that is close enough and you typically have the 2 week buffer after your due date. 

relax.  take a deep breath.  i don't know if i would say that the likely outcome of pit would be c/s.  i have seen a lot of successful pit inductions.    i would discuss with your dr the possibility of waiting for an induction until you are 2 weeks past your EDD, may 11.

This. Now take another deep breath.

1. Your doc's aren't wrong (40w is the time from LMP, not DOC).... and if there is a discrepancy, it is a matter of a couple of days... not weeks. 

2. Pitocin isn't a death sentence, nor is it a guaranteed trip to the OR. For the record, cesarian births aren't death sentences either. When they are necessary, they save lives. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

3. Do some of your own research on Cytotec (sorry, this site DOES NOT count). When my MW and then my hospital (I transferred care) both recommended this, I was told the concerns are associated mainly with women who had previous cesarian sections, but I don't know enough to spew out opinions here.

4. A friend told me that the first 40w of pregnancy are physical, and from there on out, the emotional and spiritual journey begins. I went to 42.5w, and I completely lived this out.

GL on your journey!

• You're doing your calculations wrong.  Your due date based on conception would only be 2 or 3 days later than your current due date.  EDD based on LMP assumes that you ovulate two weeks after the first day of your LMP.  Based on your conception date of August 4, you only ovulated two or three days after the assumed ovulation date.

I would be comfortable waiting until 42 weeks for induction if everything was fine with me and baby.  They can do regular NSTs and biophysical profiles to make monitor the baby while you're waiting.  You can tell your doctor what your conception date was and see if you can go a few days past 42 weeks if you're comfortable with that.

Try not to worry.  Even though you're not dilated at all you could still go into labor at any time.  I went from a dimple dilated to DS being born in just over an hour.  Also, try not to assume that your induction automatically equals c-section.  I know it's hard when it's something that you really want to avoid, but try to stay positive.

Best of luck with everything!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• With my ds I was POSITIVE of conception and ovulation and had him 2 days after my EDD. Id go with conception and ovulation. Just stand your ground on it, and if theyre uncomfy make them send you for a NST. An NST would pick up a baby who cant tolerate the womb anymore. GL!

Ok nevermind- I just read through the other comments. Still, I dont like inductions. Request the NST before agreeing to the induction. ;)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • YOUR DUE DATE IS 40 WEEKS AFTER YOUR LAST PERIOD, NOT THE DAY YOU CONCEIVED.

your doc's due date is the correct one. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • my water broke at 40w1d I had my first internal and I was thin and closed. I gave birth to a wonderful boy 26hrs after that internal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"