LGBT Parenting

Metformin...

Hello All, 

I just started taking Metformin and am feeling the side effects of the medicine. Has anyone taken it before and if so, how long did your side effects last if you had them? Thanks

~C 

May 2005-Diagnosed with Stage 3-4 Endo and PCOS July 2009-HSG Normal April 2011-1st RE Appt Prescribed Metformin + Baby Aspirin AMH and Androgen Panel Ordered May 2011-Repeat HSG-Normal July 2011-IUI #1 Monitored Cycle: Metformin+100mg Clomid+Follistim+HCG Trigger+Prometrium+Estrace = BFN August 2011-IUI#2 Monitored Cycle: Metformin 1500mg + Follistim +Ovidrel = Canceled-Too Many Follicles-Cyst Aspiration October 2011-IUI #2: Monitored Cycle: Metformin + Follistim + Lupron + Dexamethasone + Ovidrel = BFN November 2011: Time off due to OHSS December 2011: IVF #1: Mini/Modified IVF: Follistim + Menopur + Lupron + Dexamethasone = BFP + Severe OHSS Beta 1: 170 Beta 2: 332 Beta 3: 1316 Twins!!! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Metformin...

• How may mg's are you taking? 

When I first started taking mine which in all was 1700mg I took it all at once and well, it wasn't pretty. I then split them up one pill in the morning and one at night. It seemed to help a little bit but the side effects are unfortunately just that. They should subside in a week or so.

But I feel your pain and know where your coming from! I hope it gets better soon! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Uh oh, doctors suck at this part.  Tartrate up to your prescribed dose!  Is it three times daily?  Start with one for a few days, then two when you feel better, then up to three.  I'm sorry nobody told you to do this!  Usually pharmacists are pretty good about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I should have also mentioned that eating carbs makes it worse!  :(
  • Thanks ladies for your response. I am on 500 mg twice a day. The plan is to get me up to 3x a day. Right now, I am taking one in the morning with breakfast and one in the evening. Yesterday was pretty rough but today was a little better because I took an Imodium in the morning. It got me through most of the day since I was at my niece's communion and really didn't want to be sick in the middle of service. I read about the carbs, thanks for sharing! 

I know this is what I have to do so I will continue to make the best of these nasty side effects.  

May 2005-Diagnosed with Stage 3-4 Endo and PCOS July 2009-HSG Normal April 2011-1st RE Appt Prescribed Metformin + Baby Aspirin AMH and Androgen Panel Ordered May 2011-Repeat HSG-Normal July 2011-IUI #1 Monitored Cycle: Metformin+100mg Clomid+Follistim+HCG Trigger+Prometrium+Estrace = BFN August 2011-IUI#2 Monitored Cycle: Metformin 1500mg + Follistim +Ovidrel = Canceled-Too Many Follicles-Cyst Aspiration October 2011-IUI #2: Monitored Cycle: Metformin + Follistim + Lupron + Dexamethasone + Ovidrel = BFN November 2011: Time off due to OHSS December 2011: IVF #1: Mini/Modified IVF: Follistim + Menopur + Lupron + Dexamethasone = BFP + Severe OHSS Beta 1: 170 Beta 2: 332 Beta 3: 1316 Twins!!! Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hate to say it, but every time I've been on Met I've had 2 weeks of really bad side effects, and another 4 weeks of mild yuckiness. And that's taking 2 weeks to step up each pill. I could just be really sensitive to it, though.

I've actually just been put back on it (for my wacky pp periods and PCOS-- which I had hoped would go away after being pregnant, but didn't), and I've been dragging my heels about getting back on it. Perhaps you'll inspire me to just suck it up and do it... :)

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Sorry you have side effects. I hope they subside quickly.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I don't remember having side effects.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"