2nd Trimester

WWYD: Gender Scan

My OB office does an optional gender scan at 16 weeks for $50 and the proceeds go to the march of dimes.  My anatomy scan is scheduled for 18 weeks.  My DH wants to go ahead and do the gender scan at 16 weeks. WDYT?

Re: WWYD: Gender Scan

• Personally, I'd wait until 18 weeks to increase your odds for accuracy.  You can always donate on the march of dimes website.  We just did it last week.  It's really easy!
    imageimageimageimage
  • If I had the money to donate, I would. Sounds like a good cause :-)
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd do it. I would love to find out early, plus you can write it off on your taxes if it's considered a donation.
  • imageleahraewku:
    Personally, I'd wait until 18 weeks to increase your odds for accuracy.  You can always donate on the march of dimes website.  We just did it last week.  It's really easy!

I totally agree with this.  I'd be worried about the accuracy at 16 weeks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagereannegummer:

imageleahraewku:
    Personally, I'd wait until 18 weeks to increase your odds for accuracy.  You can always donate on the march of dimes website.  We just did it last week.  It's really easy!

I totally agree with this.  I'd be worried about the accuracy at 16 weeks.

Definitely agree. It's a nice thought to donate the money, but the odds are very slim that early. You'd be better off using the $50 for baby supplies, and waiting until 18wks.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Since they donate the money I would go for it.
  • imageLambie.:
    Since they donate the money I would go for it.

This.. Also I wouldnt worry about accuracy since itll be for fun and youll have the actual anatomy scan two weeks later and they can confirm the 16 weeks guess..

• Go ahead and do it...why not?  I had one at 16 wks and confirmed it at 19 for my anatomy scan...it was a girl both times!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAzrayla:

imageLambie.:
    Since they donate the money I would go for it.

This.. Also I wouldnt worry about accuracy since itll be for fun and youll have the actual anatomy scan two weeks later and they can confirm the 16 weeks guess..

This!  That's a great way to raise $$. Plus, it's always fun to see your baby.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • I'd do it.  We had an elective scan at 16 weeks to find out the gender.  It was correct, boy!  The doc confirmed at the 20 week scan.  The place I went actually sees people at 15 weeks to determine gender.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I woud wait for the 18wk mark.  The more you get closer to 20wks, the better and more accurate it will be to determine the sex.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • I say do it.  I'm guessing since your OB offers this (pretty cool, BTW), they have a good ultrasound machine and are confident in their abilities to correctly identify gender at 16 weeks.

My perinatologist office offers gender determination to all their patients starting at the 16 week appointment.  With their machine during my last pregnancy, the gender was unmistakeable. 

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • If you can donate Id say go for it!! Its for a good cause and you get to see your little one =] 
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Since I would not want my money going to the March of Dimes I would wait.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• why not?? i personally wanted to know ASAP! i  had an elective ultrasound at 15 weeks and it was clearly a girl. if baby is in the right position, its pretty obvious - either their are 3 bones or there are no bones...... my place takes people  as early as 14 weeks - if they don't get a clear picture, they will let you come back a week later for free. we have anatomy scan this week to confirm, but i'm fully expecting for her to stay a girl!

BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I would. It's an extra look at your baby and the $50 goes to charity which can be a right off.  You'll still get the anatomy scan 2 weeks later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a normal OB visit u/s at 16 weeks, and she guessed girl. I have my anatomy scan next week. I would go for it! :) Most women only get their anatomy scan their entire pregnancy. Its a donation to a good cause, and you get to see your LO one extra time than most women! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMooneyDee:
    I would. It's an extra look at your baby and the $50 goes to charity which can be a right off.  You'll still get the anatomy scan 2 weeks later.

Agreed!

Maybe just wait 2 weeks for any BIG purchases.

• imageandy113:

why not?? i personally wanted to know ASAP! i  had an elective ultrasound at 15 weeks and it was clearly a girl. if baby is in the right position, its pretty obvious - either their are 3 bones or there are no bones...... my place takes people  as early as 14 weeks - if they don't get a clear picture, they will let you come back a week later for free. we have anatomy scan this week to confirm, but i'm fully expecting for her to stay a girl!

Bones? Whaa?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OB offers a Jack or Jill genetic blood test between the 11th week and the 16th week...its 90% accurate...

They told me at 13 weeks exactly that I'm having a boy...glad I found out this soon that way I can look and start buying all things boy :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yes, girls have 3 bones in the genital area that show up as 3 bright white lines on the ultrasound.boys do not have bones, just cartilage, so you can see the outline/shadow which is the penis....

this website was helpful  https://www.4dultrasound.co.za/

BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"