Baby Showers

Do I say something? SIL's invites

My brother is having a baby in June. They're having a shower with our side of the family and work/friends in two weeks. Originally they were going to be separate, but for some reason they got merged and I'm no longer planning. That's fine, because now I'm pregnant myself. But, it's co-ed, and that wasn't stated on the invites (even though that's what they want). Also, the invites don't include last name, or even my brother's actual name. They addressed him as his nickname (middle name)...

So my mom is worried that people won't know who the heck this invite is for. Should I say anything to my brother? My mom doesn't want to stress him out, but I think he should know so he can call anybody he really wants to come and let them know that it's his shower. Also, if people don't RSVP, the person they're supposed to be calling doesn't have their numbers and I'm not sure she'll be calling them if we do give her numbers. Also, is one week to RSVP enough?

I just really worry because the other baby shower they're having (her side of the family and people where she's from), we got blank invites for it. So I don't want both of the showers to be a disappointment when people don't know why they got a card lacking vital info.

DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

Re: Do I say something? SIL's invites

• Should I say anything to my brother?  If your family doesn't know brother by that nickname then yes you should mention it to him.  I don't know how that would stress him out.  It sounds perfectly logical.  Especially if the person they RSVP to is a friend and not family member may not recognize the host's name and be even more confused.

Also, if people don't RSVP, the person they're supposed to be calling doesn't have their numbers and I'm not sure she'll be calling them if we do give her numbers.  Why do you feel that the hostess won't try to contact the non-RSVP'ers?  That's the job of the hostess.  And if she doesn't have their numbers all she has to do is ask your brother.  It sounds like your expectations for the hostess is very low.

Also, is one week to RSVP enough?  Do you mean the invites were sent out 2 weeks prior to the shower date and they had to RSVP by the next week?  Then yes that's not enough time.  Typically invites should be sent out at least a month in advance.

As for the other shower, what do you mean by blank invites?  Did they just buy the invites and didn't write anything in it and mailed them out?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Especially if the person they RSVP to is a friend and not family member may not recognize the host's name and be even more confused.

Some don't, so I'll definitely try and help out there.

And if she doesn't have their numbers all she has to do is ask your brother.  It sounds like your expectations for the hostess is very low.

I think right now that I'm the only person with the complete phone number list, but I can get it to my brother just in case.

Do you mean the invites were sent out 2 weeks prior to the shower date and they had to RSVP by the next week?  Then yes that's not enough time.  Typically invites should be sent out at least a month in advance.

2 weeks prior, with one week to RSVP. May 6th is the day to RSVP by, and today is when my mother got her invite.

As for the other shower, what do you mean by blank invites?  Did they just buy the invites and didn't write anything in it and mailed them out?

I believe they bought a kit and put the pieces together (layers, looked scrapbook-y). They were actually really cute, and just said that it's a girl on the front. The inside was supposed to have an insert, but it was forgotten on at least a couple of them. And I had no idea who the return address was for (or even where the town listed was), so I called my SIL and she verified that it was hers and gave me the time/date/etc. At least two other invitations from that batch were missing the insert, so I'm hoping for her sake that it turns out alright.

Thanks.

DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Maybe between you and your mom you can let those people that might not know him by his nickname know the shower is for him and it is a co-ed shower (you are sure it is co-ed...right?).

I would just give the list to the SIL since she is the hostess and the one to call any non-RSVPers.

2 weeks really is enough time.  Even one week people know if they are busy or not the following week-end.  I evited some close family and friends to my DS's Baby Dedication and then sent the paper invites 1 week before.  It worked out fine.

Yikes!  No info on the invite!?  How will people even know who it is for much less the time/date/location?  What did SIL say when you told her your invite (and a couple others that you know about) did not have any info in them?  I kind of feel sorry for your brother...sounds like he married into a family that has "completion issues".  lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"