Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

14 month old keep making himself throw up!!! Help!

My 14 month old BOY (I knew boys were gross) keeps putting his fingers and hand in his mouth until he throws up. Not just a little either, total puke fest. This just started yesterday, maybe he saw someone at daycare do it? He has done it several times today, once in a department store, once all over my carpeting, once all over the bedding in his crib! I'm SO frustrated. How can I make him stop this? Any advice is much appreciated.

Re: 14 month old keep making himself throw up!!! Help!

• Call your pedi...or a pedi that's open on weekends. They will probably have the best advice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JCMJCM member
    DD was doing this for a little while too!  I did manage to catch her before she actually made herself throw up.  What I'd do is keep a close eye on him & when he starts to sick his hands in his mouth tell him NO, loudly & firmly & keep doing it over and over and over.  DD no longer does it.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • We went through this at 12-13 months, but my DS didn't even need his fingers. He would just make gagging noises until he finally puked and he did it ALL the time. Like your DS he liked to do it out of the house as much as in the house and I had to check out of a store covered in vomit once. I tried completely ignoring it, which worked for a little while, then I had to change tactics to acting like an idiot to distract him- like dancing like a monkey or if I was driving I would bark like a dog or make insane silly sounds. Then he kind of just stopped doing the barfing thing for the most part. So, I guess you can try to ignore him when he starts working on making himself puke (and I mean no eye contact, faces, etc...I would have to turn around so he couldn't see my face) or try to distract him by making him laugh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is he teething?  My DS does this when he cuts a new tooth.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DS went through this phase, also.  He thought it was hilarious.  The bigger the deal we made of it, the more he did it.  So, we ignored him (after talking to the pedi) and he realized puking actually wasn't much fun and stopped within a couple of days.  Once he wasn't getting a reaction from us any longer, the excitement was over for him.  Good luck!  It is such a disgusting phase to deal with!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dd did this, although she never threw up, but we were told to ignore it. It has completely stopped now. If he pikes, just clean it up as if it was nothing, don't yell or show ANY emotion. Avoid eye contact and praise when he is doing something right.
  • Thanks everyone who replied. It DOES appear to be a bordom thing. We'll continue to use your ideas and hopefully it will blow over soon. He is also teething. My theory is: he may have done it on accident while chewing on his finger then figured out what it did, so started doing it for a reaction from us. He gets a kick out of my reactions..Agh! Kids! Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"