Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Mastitis?

I did kind of a dumb thing and weaned cold turkey. We BF'd, and now my boobs hurt. It's like hot needles. Is this the normal drying up process, or could it be mastitis? I also feel kind of like I have the flu, but I do have a cold as well...? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mastitis?

• I've had mastitis once with the first baby and four times with this one. Many people notice a specific clogged duct first htat they can try to clear but that's only worked out for me once. Here's how it goes for me:

notice a firm, sore area on one or both breasts.

within a few hours, it's more sore, pink, and warm, and I am not feeling right. Just feeling off; not hungry, slightly nauseated, tired, maybe a little dizzy.

within a few more hours, have chills and am getting a fever. IT does feel like having the flu.

If you spike a fever, get antibiotics AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Mastitis sucks and getting on antibiotics right away is important, at least for me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Did you just start weaning today? I've heard you can/should pump just enough to relieve engorgement. I've also heard that the cabbage leaf thing really works.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my first bout with it in February. For me, I woke up feeling a bit engorged. By the end of the day I was feeling like I had the flu - aches, chills, shaking, fever of 102. A few hours after that, I noticed huge red raised lines on my breast, it was so tender to the touch that if anyone brushed it I nearly went through the roof, and it was swollen and started to look sunburnt too. All the flu-like symptoms went away at that point.
  • To be safe, I would see your doctor. I was able to catch my mastitis (3 times) very quickly and just needed a Z-pack to clear it up. When I caught it I noticed a clogged duct that I couldn't get cleared up, then it turned pink and very hot to the touch, I also felt flu--ish. A friend of mine didn't catch hers early enough and ended up hospitalized because of the infection. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"