September 2011 Moms

Anyone familiar with SPD?

Also known as symphysis pubis dysfunction.  I know you have to be careful about diagnosing yourself over the internet, but I'm pretty darn sure this is what I'm dealing with.  Here's some more info on it.

I started experiencing pubic bone pain several weeks ago, and everyone said it was normal, so I didn't worry about it.  But it has gotten much worse, and sometimes it's hard to even function with it.  Not only do I have this constant severe pain in my crotch, but my lower back and my hips constantly hurt, and it's nearly impossible to roll over in bed or put on underwear/pants without wincing in pain.  I know some pain and discomfort and pregnancy is normal, but this is some pretty darn severe pain I'm dealing with here.  I have my next appointment with my midwife a week from Monday, but I'm going to call and talk to her about it this coming Monday, because I just don't know what to do.  

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Re: Anyone familiar with SPD?

• I had it with my son and have it again. It sucks! Do you ever hear clicking walking? Lay down and have DH gently push on your pubic bone...like in the middle of your pubic hair. If you jump through the roof then it sounds like thats it.

Some studies have said Vit D can help the pain. So I have been taking that daily.

I also have a walker and a handicap plaquard. Driving hurts like hell sometimes. I wear a brace and that helps some...Mostly to remind me how to move. Kegals while doing movements have made big difference this time around.

I will warn you if this is what yuo have after delievery was even worse...But I did have a vaginal delievery even though the doc didnt know if I could

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Yes, I have it also.  I had it REALLY bad in my second pregnancy as I was doing all the things I wasn't supposed to thinking I was doing good things preparing for childbirth, like squats, etc.  After I figured out I had SPD, which was after birth, when I was still in pain 9 months later, I came across this website and everything fit.  http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

In my 3rd pregnancy, I was very careful and made sure to move properly and was surprised at how well that pregnancy went.  I've not been as consistent this pregnancy and I can tell.  I hurt more.  I really need to take care and stop squatting.  It's just so hard cause I do a lot of gardening and I have 3 kids and well, it's just easy to squat, but it's killing my pubic bone.

In all pregnancies I've had chiropractic care.  I think it helps a ton!  Not all chiros are created equal.  Some are better than others at adjusting the pubic bone and hips.  I found the more aggressive chiros to be better than the gentle ones because the adjustments would last longer.

In both my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies I delivered w/o drugs and in the squatting position.  I tried really hard not to with my 3rd but I just wasn't getting the really good pushing contractions until I got in that position and then it was overwhelming, I must push now! contractions and so that's how she was born.  

I still felt so much better after my 3rd than I ever did with my 2nd though.  So, I'm hopeful to keep it at bay doing all the right things. 

• Thank you both.  I'm in tears right now because the pain is so bad.  It probably doesn't help that it's compounded by guilt that my husband is having to do everything for me today.  We went out and registered at BRU this morning, and I think it just did me in.  I will check out that article--thanks again.
  • Lady!  I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this.  How do you stay so dang chipper all the time.  I'm amazed.  Call your midwife asap and figure this thing out.  There is no reason you should be in that kind of pain.  HUGS!  Let your husband take care of you.  It's good for them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Katywren:
    Lady!  I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this.  How do you stay so dang chipper all the time.  I'm amazed.  Call your midwife asap and figure this thing out.  There is no reason you should be in that kind of pain.  HUGS!  Let your husband take care of you.  It's good for them. 

Aw, thanks.  You're only seeing my online persona, and sometimes I hide behind the chipper.  You didn't see my dramatic bawling meltdown this afternoon.  :)  But thanks for confirming for me that this is indeed not normal pregnancy pain.

And to PP--I haven't had clicking when walking, but when I roll over at night I can feel and hear my joints popping/clicking.

• I am in the same uncomfortable boat as you, unfortunately.  It has really made me emotional lately because I feel like I can't do anything!  I hurt when I walk and do hear my bones clicking.  Sitting to standing is super uncomfortable and takes me at least 5 seconds before I can actually start walking once I stand.  Sleeping is more uncomfortable because it hurts to lay on my side with pressure on my hip bones.  Turning over in bed makes me want to scream!  Putting on underwear/pants/shoes is excruciating.  I bought a maternity support band yesterday that was recommended by my doctor.  We'll see how that works...  Good luck and hopefully you feel better after talking to your midwife!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards