Eco-Friendly Family

Those who do ovulation testing while TTC....

Do you find that it takes all the fun out of sex?  We've been TTC for 4-5 months and I recently downloaded an ovulation app on my phone. My friends were all giving me a hard time about it and it got me thinking that it is kinda taking the fun out of it.  Do you guys feel the same way?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Those who do ovulation testing while TTC....

• No, it doesn't take the fun out of it for me...

Feel free to look at my chart (horrible at temping but good at OPK). This is my first cycle using OPK and I haven't gotten a positive yet. I am afraid I am anovulatory... That is what upsets me, not the tracking of it.

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imagegoodgalpal:

No, it doesn't take the fun out of it for me...

Feel free to look at my chart (horrible at temping but good at OPK). This is my first cycle using OPK and I haven't gotten a positive yet. I am afraid I am anovulatory... That is what upsets me, not the tracking of it.

Well that's good that it is still fun for you.  I guess I'm getting discouraged and starting to feel like having sex is a job and not spontaneous or fun right now.

I tried to look at your chart but it said I don't have access.  I honestly don't know what OPK or anovularatory means.  I'm just looking at the ovulation tests on my app but not doing any of the temp stuff etc.  

• Loading the player...
  • Nah, not really. I've been charting and using OPKs for 30+ cycles (we only used OPKs when actively TTC so about 15 months for that total - the other cycles I just charted to stay in the habit).

This cycle was the first time it has ever been monotonous. I actually like knowing when I'm ovulating because once I'm done - the pressure is totally off for the rest of the month and we are free to do what we want to do without worrying about ttc at all.

• OPK= ovulation predictor kit (the tests)

anovulatory= without ovulation, not ovulating

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm not familiar with charting & temping & all that...but if you're interested, my acupuncturist is very experienced with fertility issues & could help you out.  And he accepts insurance!  - Let me know if you want his info...he's just 15 mins away.
  • Ditto to things still being fun. We practice NFP. We started marriage off just tracking my cervical mucus and using OPK (ovulation predicion kits). We were trying to just go with the flow and hoping to get pregnant. After 5 months of that, I decided to start charting my basal body temperature. I also started drinking CM. And then we conceived on cycle 6.

We are back to just tracking CM. I would love to temp. again, but I don't get 3 hours of sleep in a row so I don't think I'd see a good temp shift on my chart.

Anyway, things are still fun for us. I definitely make sure to initiate all month long. That way, it doesn't seem to DH like I wake up, check my fertility signs, realize I might me fertile, and only want sex then.

FWIW, ovulation applications/charts are essentially useless. They are based on the 28 day cycle of the average women with an assumed ovulation on day 14. Not every women has 28 day cycles. (Pre-pregnancy mine usually varied from 28-32 days.) And just because you have a 28 day cycle doesn't mean you ovulate on day 14. It's possible to ovulate on day 14 and have a 26 or 30 day cycle. So the info. from the charts doesn't really tell you much.

Tracking CM tells you when you have fertile mucus which is a sign you may be ovulating soon. OPKs tell you when you have an LH surge, which is an indication you may ovulate in the next day and a half-ish. However, you can get a positive OPK and not ovulate (such as in an annovulatory cycle).

Tracking your BBT would tell you if/when you are ovulating but only after you have a confirmed temp shift (so after the fact). And the cycle day you ovulate can change from cycle to cycle.

I actually like tracking all of that, because I like knowing exactly what's going on with my body. IMO, it enhances our sex life. But you are certainly not alone in thinking it takes away some of the fun.

A friend of mine felt the same way you do. She took a break from tracking anything for a couple of months. That seemed to help her.

Wow-that's a really long way of saying that no, I don't feel the same way!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMissyOlivePants:
    I'm not familiar with charting & temping & all that...but if you're interested, my acupuncturist is very experienced with fertility issues & could help you out.  And he accepts insurance!  - Let me know if you want his info...he's just 15 mins away.

I might take you up on that if it takes another couple months. Thanks!

• imagegoodgalpal:

OPK= ovulation predictor kit (the tests)

anovulatory= without ovulation, not ovulating

Oh I hope that isn't the case for you.  I hope you get pregnant soon!

• We tested (and temped and charted) while TTC.  For us it did not take the fun out at all. It just gave us more reasons to have sex and that was just fine with DH!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"