TTC After a Loss

Feeling self conscious since loss...

Hi girls,

Since my loss in Feb, I have been feeling extremely self conscious about everything.  It isn't just feelings about my fertility health, it is in everything.  It is like this "not good enough" cloud has completely shrouded me since.  I just can't seem to get on track with my social life, clothes, exercise, ect.  I hate people taking pictures, and I'm just not very smilely in situations that I used to be.  This has never really happened to me before, but neither has a miscarriage.

I spoke with my doc about potential situational depression, but he seems to think that besides talking about it that there really isn't anything that I should do.  Meds of any sort are off the table to try since he knows that we are TTC.  Does it filter for everyone like this?  Will time make this go you think?  I just feel like it has been so long and it is still eating me completely.

BFP #1- 01/16/11 Missed miscarriage 02/14 Cytotec followed by D&C 02/18 BFP #2- 07/14/11 Missed miscarriage 08/12/11 Awaiting my D&C and subsequent testing Anniversary

Re: Feeling self conscious since loss...

• I had a really hard time after both of my losses. I actually did go to therapy and it really helped me. I hope you do find a way but don't think that there is any certain time frame in which you should feel better. Everyone processes a loss differently. If it's available to you I would look into therapy as it really helped me deal with my grief. So sorry for your loss.
    BFP 7/27/10, no hb discovered 9/3/10, natural m/c 9/17/10
    BFP #2- 2/1/11,bleeding- 2/6/11, natural m/c @ 5wks
    BFP #3- 4/29/11 - DS born 12/31/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    TTCAL buddies with LilMaggs and psumel13
  • I'm planning on looking into it, as it is my only option right now. It feels wrong to try to get past something like this right?  My pregnancy was a baby to me, and it certainly deserves the thought. Thanks for the advice.
    BFP #1- 01/16/11 Missed miscarriage 02/14 Cytotec followed by D&C 02/18 BFP #2- 07/14/11 Missed miscarriage 08/12/11 Awaiting my D&C and subsequent testing Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • I felt and still feel similar at times but especially after my losses. I was too stubborn to do much about it after our first loss but immediately after our second while still sitting in the ultrasound room I blurted out, "I'm gonna need a therapist.". I started seeing someone and got on an antidepressant. I knew I wouldn't make it through a second loss without some help. Even with all of that it still amazes me that I made it through those first few months. TTC or not if you continue to feel like this or if it gets worse don't be afraid to be put on an anti-depressant and/or talk to someone. ((Hugs)))

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• I don't know if I would even say I got past it. It just was something I had to accept as part of my life and move on and not let it become what defined me. It is part of my life but not who I am if that makes sense. And I didn't want to be angry and bitter all the time so I had to find a way to accept it and move forward. But it took me a long time to get there.

BFP 7/27/10, no hb discovered 9/3/10, natural m/c 9/17/10
    BFP #2- 2/1/11,bleeding- 2/6/11, natural m/c @ 5wks
    BFP #3- 4/29/11 - DS born 12/31/11
    TTCAL buddies with LilMaggs and psumel13
  • Thanks, did your doctor seem to think the antidepressant would cause any issue with TTC or if you got pregnant.  I think the doc I currently see thinks that they may cause issue, so he is resistant.  I know it is probably personal, but what type are you on?  You can send me a personal message, if you'd rather, and I would never be offended if you didn't anyhow.  I know it is very private info. 

• I felt like that in the beginning, but I started spending A LOT of time on MC/PL and this board and it was so incredibly helpful to me.  I don't think I would ever be able to ask for help and go to a theripist or support group IRL.  TB took the place of that and I credit the ladies here for getting me through the worst part of my life.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesmsakai:

Thanks, did your doctor seem to think the antidepressant would cause any issue with TTC or if you got pregnant.  I think the doc I currently see thinks that they may cause issue, so he is resistant.  I know it is probably personal, but what type are you on?  You can send me a personal message, if you'd rather, and I would never be offended if you didn't anyhow.  I know it is very private info. 

First off I want to say I am sorry for your loss.  I went/am going through the same things you are.  I had my loss in late December.  I cried ALL.THE.TIME and I am not much of a crier.  I sat around all the time and quit exercising and I was an advit exerciser.  (I am just starting to get back into it again and that has helped).  I finally sought a therapist, which kind of helped, but what really helped me was I went on prozac.  I went on a very low dose.  My dr. and OB both said it is safe to take when TTC and during pregnancy (but not reccomended in third trimester.  I don't plan on taking it when pregnant).  They both also told me that I didn't need to be weaned off that brand.  Infact I just went off it cold turkey a few weeks ago and had no side effects.  I still get sad from time to time and have thought about going back on it.  If you have any further questions you can ask or PM me. 

Photobucket
    DD#1 9-4-04 *** DD#2 10-15-07
    BFP#3 10-25-10 *EDD 7/1/11 * missed m/c @ 13w3d
    BFP#4 7-30-11 *EDD 4/8/12 ~ DD#3 born 4/4/12
  • First, I am so sorry for your loss and sorry you're feeling this way, you're not the only one.  I still feel this way sometimes.  It's getting better for me and I hope it gets better for you soon too!  For me, I try my best to work out and eat healthy- those are things I can somewhat control, which has seemed to make me feel better.  I didn't get back into this routine again until about a month ago (my loss was in December) so it did take a while.  I hope you find support here, this board has many wonderful, supportive women.

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• I wanted to let you know you're not alone.  I definitely have moments of "I'm not good enough" or "I'm a failure" but as I am healing they are slowly becoming fewer and farther in between.  I agree with PP that this board has helped me a lot.  Just knowing that there are others out there that feel similarly to me and knowing that it's normal to feel this way has helped tremendously. *hugs*
    Me: 31     DH: 33
    Dx: Me: Recurrent Pregnancy Loss; DH: Low Morphology (2%)
    BFP#1: MC 3/1/11 at 6w1d - EDD 10/21/11
    BFP#2: 5/3/11 - EDD 1/9/12 - DD Born 1/6/12
    TTC #2 since 12/13
    BFP#3: MC 2/8/14 at 4w5d - EDD 10/13/14
    BFP#4: MC 5/6/14 at 4w4d - EDD 1/9/15
    BFP#5: MMC discovered 8/4/14 at 9w1d - D&C 8/5/14 - Baby Boy with Trisomy 16 (maternal origin) - EDD 3/8/15
    BFP#6: CP 11/6/14 at 4w2d - EDD 7/14/15
    IVF #1 with ICSI & PGS: May/June 2015, ER 6/3/15, 17R/17M/15F
    IVF #2 with ICSI & PGS: July 2015, ER 7/16/15, 16R/11M/9F
    PGS results = 6 normal embryos (4 boys, 2 girls)
    FET 9/23/15 = BFFN
    Natural FET 11/4/15 = BFP!
    Beta 9dp5dt = 92

• imageLDW80:
    imagesmsakai:

Thanks, did your doctor seem to think the antidepressant would cause any issue with TTC or if you got pregnant.  I think the doc I currently see thinks that they may cause issue, so he is resistant.  I know it is probably personal, but what type are you on?  You can send me a personal message, if you'd rather, and I would never be offended if you didn't anyhow.  I know it is very private info. 

First off I want to say I am sorry for your loss.  I went/am going through the same things you are.  I had my loss in late December.  I cried ALL.THE.TIME and I am not much of a crier.  I sat around all the time and quit exercising and I was an advit exerciser.  (I am just starting to get back into it again and that has helped).  I finally sought a therapist, which kind of helped, but what really helped me was I went on prozac.  I went on a very low dose.  My dr. and OB both said it is safe to take when TTC and during pregnancy (but not reccomended in third trimester.  I don't plan on taking it when pregnant).  They both also told me that I didn't need to be weaned off that brand.  Infact I just went off it cold turkey a few weeks ago and had no side effects.  I still get sad from time to time and have thought about going back on it.  If you have any further questions you can ask or PM me. 

Thanks for this!  I will definitely look into and start doing more research about effects.  These feeling really stink!   

• imagesmsakai:

Hi girls,

Since my loss in Feb, I have been feeling extremely self conscious about everything.  It isn't just feelings about my fertility health, it is in everything.  It is like this "not good enough" cloud has completely shrouded me since.  I just can't seem to get on track with my social life, clothes, exercise, ect.  I hate people taking pictures, and I'm just not very smilely in situations that I used to be.  This has never really happened to me before, but neither has a miscarriage.

I spoke with my doc about potential situational depression, but he seems to think that besides talking about it that there really isn't anything that I should do.  Meds of any sort are off the table to try since he knows that we are TTC.  Does it filter for everyone like this?  Will time make this go you think?  I just feel like it has been so long and it is still eating me completely.

I went through these same exact feelings, i'm sorry that you are going through this.  I eventually was able to shove myself back out the door and get back on track with my running.  I know it is the one thing that can make me feel better and give me time to think about nothing and process everything all at the same time.  I hope you start feeling better soon.  Big (((hugs))).

BFP #2 7/20/11 ** EDD: 3/28/12: IT'S A BOY!
    BFP #1 12/30/10 ** EDD: 9/6/11** H/B stopped at 10w 6d conf on 2/22/11 ** D&C 2/24/11.
    Congrats to my Labor Buddy LoriJ11, baby Elise born 2/24/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used to run really well too.  Actually, when I first found out that I was pregnant, I kept at it.  After the loss, I beat myself up about that also.  I need to find it again, because I know that those thoughts are foolish...Really you can't help but think about every single move you made. UGH!  You give me hope, so thanks.  Running sounds good now, if only I can force this nasty Chicago weather to cooperate!!  It has rained every day for more than a week, and a lot that does for this situation!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"