Trying to Get Pregnant

Deal Breaker? (clicky)

When you were dating, if your SO said they never wanted to have kids, would that have been a deal breaker?
[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Expecting #2 In June 2014
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Deal Breaker? (clicky)

• I voted for "broke up with someone because of this", but that's only PART of why I broke up with him. (He was a total d-bag, as well.) I always wanted a large family, and he actually had the gall to tell me once that pregnant women disgust him and he thinks they're the nastiest thing he's ever seen. And that yes, he would feel that way about me, even if I was carrying his child. Somehow, it just didn't rub me the right way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • vpinevpine member
    Once I stopped drinking and partying (around age 26) and wanted to settle down, I knew I wanted marriage and children and wouldn't have given someone who didn't want the same things I wanted a chance.
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekdodge423:

SS- I had been on the fence for a while about the kid thing. Had I found someone I wanted to be with that didn't want kids, it probably wouldn't have been a deal breaker at one point. Whether I would have changed my mind down the road is hard to tell.

When DH and I met, we were both on the fence. Fortunately we both ended up on the same side.

This exactly! I put that it wouldn't have been a deal breaker, because when I was single that's definitely where my head was at - I could go either way. But DH was definitely on the side of having kids eventually, and I was totally ok with that, and quite excited now that we're ready for it :)

~Adrienne~ 

Elias Jonathon, born Feb 2012
    Baby Girl due Mar 2015
  • When DH and I started fooling around - friends w/ benefits kind of thing- I told him flat out I wanted to get married and have a kid (or two).  I also told him that if that wasn't what he wanted that was fine.  We could have some fun but at some point I would end it to find someone to settle down with. 

Lucky for me he changed his mind about marriage and kids! Apparently he hadn't dated any one as "normal" as I was so didn't want to marry them. Wink

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It totally would have been a deal breaker for me as from the time I can remember, I have wanted 6 kids.  Luckily for me I didn't actually date that much and my husband was actually my first serious relationship, so it was the only time I had to worry about that in a relationship!  When we brought up kids, he mentioned that he wanted 4 and I couldn't have been happier!  So now we are going for 4 or 6 kids, whatever we feel comfortable with.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My high school boyfriend always said he didn't want kids and even though I knew I definitely did it wasn't a deal breaker at the time because we were so young.  If the relationship had progressed (i.e. he didn't turn into a d-bag) it probably would've become an issue.  Luckily DH started talking about kids from pretty much day 1 so it was never an issue.
    Me: 35 | Him: 35
    G born 10/25/12 | H born 3/25/14
    TTC#3 since 7/2015
    Early loss 12/2015 most likely due to low progesterone
    Began medicated cycles (Femara/Ovidrel/Endometrin) with TI 1/2016
    BFP 3/22, EDD 12/4/16 ~ It's a GIRL!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageblindvictory:
    I voted for "broke up with someone because of this", but that's only PART of why I broke up with him. (He was a total d-bag, as well.) I always wanted a large family, and he actually had the gall to tell me once that pregnant women disgust him and he thinks they're the nastiest thing he's ever seen. And that yes, he would feel that way about me, even if I was carrying his child. Somehow, it just didn't rub me the right way.

WOW sounds like it...

• imagevpine:
    Once I stopped drinking and partying (around age 26) and wanted to settle down, I knew I wanted marriage and children and wouldn't have given someone who didn't want the same things I wanted a chance.

This.

• imageMrsMooney:

It was only after I was with MH for a while, that I decided I even wanted kids. I don't just want to have kids, I want to have kids WITH HIM. There is no one else that I would want to be the father of my children or that I would even want to have kids with.

If I was dating someone before him and they said that they didn't want kids, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker, because I wasn't convinced myself that I wanted any.

THIS

• I have gone back and forth a lot as well  but as soon as I met FH I knew I did, with him. I have never dated anyone else that I was actually ok with the idea of being connected to him for the rest of my life.

One thing FH says he's liked about me from day 1 was that I didn't have kids.  Not in a hypocritical way seeings as he has one from his first marriage, but  that I apparently wasn't the kind of girl to sleep around and randomly get KU but also that I was 30 and had waited until I knew I was with the right person to have kids with. 

• I actually didn't want children when DH and I met and was very upfront about it when we got serious. He was ok with it, but something happened and we both decided that we wanted a family.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 3/17/10 Missed M/C Confirmed 4/12/10

MIF+Unexplained DX Feb 2012: Femara+Trigger+IUI=BFP AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • There have been a lot of things I have not been sure about - but one thing I have always known is that I wanted kids :) If SO didn't want kids - definite deal breaker! 
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageMrsMooney:

It was only after I was with MH for a while, that I decided I even wanted kids. I don't just want to have kids, I want to have kids WITH HIM. There is no one else that I would want to be the father of my children or that I would even want to have kids with.

If I was dating someone before him and they said that they didn't want kids, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker, because I wasn't convinced myself that I wanted any.

This exactly!  

• We got engaged (Long story but I asked him) and later that night he told me that he never wanted children. Not just "probably not" but never ever. And he knew that I did (we'd talked about it generally before) so he thought he should give me the chance to break off the engagement before we told our families. He was 22 at the time and changed his mind years later, but I made that decision once and I will keep making it.

I will be incredibly sad if we cannot have children. Having children is one of my dreams and has been one of my dreams for a very long time... but in those dreams they are DH's children. If I can't have kids (or raise kids, if we adopt) with him, then I won't have kids at all. And that would be sad, but I'd rather be childless with him than have kids with anyone else.

Friends for 15 years. Married 8. TTC since January 2009
    2010 Diagnosis: Anovulation and Severe MFI
    2011 Treatment:
    IVF w/ICSI #1 Antagonist: 2 blasts - c/p - BFN 04.22
    FET #1: 1 blast/1 early blast - BFP 06.22 - m/c 06.30 @6w0d
    07-11 RPL: MTHFR C677T Heterozygous & Slightly elevated ACLA IgM
    FET #2: 1 morula - BFN: 9.02

January '12: IVF #2
    Started BCP and Metformin (New!) 12-14 for stimming in January

Dum spiro, spero.
    ?SAIF/PAIF/PgAL/PAL always welcome?
  • SS = We were both maybe's when we met, but then we decided we wanted kids.
    GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
    BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
    BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
    BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
  • It was actually the opposite with us!  I was the one who wasn't sure if I ever wanted kids, and hubby was fine going either way.  Neither of us caught the baby bug until after we were engaged.
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"