Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

16 month old diaper frustration

2»

Re: 16 month old diaper frustration

• Again, thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I knew I would get very different reactions about the situation. Just to be clear, again... I'm not disciplining him for not going in the potty, it was strictly for the act of taking his diaper off. Also, I've never hit him hard. He has a diaper on & he does know what "No" means. So when he looks at me & laughs about what he's doing/done, it's a little hard to completely ignore & let him think it's okay to do it. I'm not beating my child. Most of the time, he doesn't even cry when I pop him. I've seen people who were playing with their children pretend spank their children ( e.g: "I'm gonna get you, get you, get you!!") & pop their butt a few times, who hit their children harder than I do. You all can continue this age old debate, but now I'm going to try the few suggestions & move on with life.
  • 1.  Don't hit your baby.  Just don't.There is never any reason to hit a child.  I have 3, and except for a couple of times with my TEENAGER, I have never been tempted to hit any of my children.  It has been proven time, and time again that pain as a punishment doesn't work.

2.  Am I the only one troubled that she is calling her child bad?  Even if you are saying he is doing something "bad" (and it should be "badly") that is just wrong.  I just can't imagine yelling at my even 3 year old that she is bad.  The psychological implications are staggering. 

3.  Go to the Gap and buy some one piece outfits.  Put them on backwards.  

4.  He isn't doing anything maliciously.  He is being a baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesdd121183:
    Again, thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I knew I would get very different reactions about the situation. Just to be clear, again... I'm not disciplining him for not going in the potty, it was strictly for the act of taking his diaper off. Also, I've never hit him hard. He has a diaper on & he does know what "No" means. So when he looks at me & laughs about what he's doing/done, it's a little hard to completely ignore & let him think it's okay to do it. I'm not beating my child. Most of the time, he doesn't even cry when I pop him. I've seen people who were playing with their children pretend spank their children ( e.g: "I'm gonna get you, get you, get you!!") & pop their butt a few times, who hit their children harder than I do. You all can continue this age old debate, but now I'm going to try the few suggestions & move on with life.

My 15 month old has understood no for at least 2 months now so I don't know how your 16 month old doesn't know what it means. 

The bolded statement just disturbs me.

• This makes me sick to my stomach.
  • imageQue_Syrah:

imagesdd121183:
    Again, thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I knew I would get very different reactions about the situation. Just to be clear, again... I'm not disciplining him for not going in the potty, it was strictly for the act of taking his diaper off. Also, I've never hit him hard. He has a diaper on & he does know what "No" means. So when he looks at me & laughs about what he's doing/done, it's a little hard to completely ignore & let him think it's okay to do it. I'm not beating my child. Most of the time, he doesn't even cry when I pop him. I've seen people who were playing with their children pretend spank their children ( e.g: "I'm gonna get you, get you, get you!!") & pop their butt a few times, who hit their children harder than I do. You all can continue this age old debate, but now I'm going to try the few suggestions & move on with life.

My 15 month old has understood no for at least 2 months now so I don't know how your 16 month old doesn't know what it means. 

The bolded statement just disturbs me.

He understands what no means, he just does it anyway. I'm not sure why that disturbs you? It simply means that he is not phased by me popping him, probably because I don't do it hard & he probably thinks I'm just playing with him...which is why he continues to take his diaper off after he's been told no!

• ablouablou member
    I'm gonna go ahead and call massive trashy MUD. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Try pull-ups in his size and POSITIVE reinforcement when he sits on the potty. The child must like the potty for him to potty train. Also- when potty training- it is actually RECOMENDED that you let them run around naked for easier access if they need to go.

If you are not ready to handle the stress of potty training and a newborn all at once- then PLEASE just put a pull up and jeans (or another hard to take off pants) on him and let it go. Or get a mother's helper for the sake of everyone's sanity.

• imagesdd121183:
    Most of the time, he doesn't even cry when I pop him.

According to your original post, "Every time he got popped on the butt & he cried."  So which is it: most of the time he doesn't cry, or every time he cries?

Look, let's pretend you have a recipe.  You cook it with a certain ingredient and without it.  When you use the ingredient, it doesn't make the recipe taste any better or make the consistency any better.  You probably wouldn't keep adding the ingredient, right?  Same logic with this situation, except the ingredient is the pop on the butt.  Since it's not working and having the effect you desired, it's probably time to leave it out.

Your baby knows the word "no" but has the cognitive ability and the memory of... a baby.  He doesn't know he's disobeying because he doesn't know what authority is.  So please use people's ideas here and use your own creatiivity to prevent him from taking the diaper off to begin with.  Everyone wins.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Please, please, please tell me this is MUD.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Main Entry: pop
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: jump, burst
    Synonyms:

appear, bang, blow, crack, dart, explode, go, go off, hit, insert, leap, protrude, push, put, report, rise, shove, snap, sock, stick, strike, thrust, whack

(thesaurus.com)

just sayin'

• This is the type of thing that makes me sad......and judgemental.

• imagegrapeape73:

1.  Don't hit your baby.  Just don't.There is never any reason to hit a child.  I have 3, and except for a couple of times with my TEENAGER, I have never been tempted to hit any of my children.  It has been proven time, and time again that pain as a punishment doesn't work.

2.  Am I the only one troubled that she is calling her child bad?  Even if you are saying he is doing something "bad" (and it should be "badly") that is just wrong.  I just can't imagine yelling at my even 3 year old that she is bad.  The psychological implications are staggering. 

3.  Go to the Gap and buy some one piece outfits.  Put them on backwards.  

4.  He isn't doing anything maliciously.  He is being a baby.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one bothered by this. Everyone else has mentioned the spanking. I'm not going to beat a dead horse. Children are NOT "bad." They make bad choices sometimes, yes, but "bad" is not an adjective you should EVER use to describe your child or his actions. Also, I hate when people speak in one word sentences to toddlers. They understand a hello of a lot more than people give them credit for. You need to catch him in the act of taking his diaper off, take his hands in yours and say, "You need to keep your diaper on. If it comes off there will be poop all over the place. Do you need changed? Let's go get a diaper." Then walk him back to the diapers and show him where they are. My 14 month old brings me diapers when she wants changed. In the meantime, zip him up backwards in footless onesies.
    This is a test. This is only a test.
  • My SIL was over last night moaning about her troubles PTing her 18 month old and I was totally judging on the inside. If I give one of you gals her email, can you send her this thread? It really just says everything she needs to learn.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Blah. It makes me sick that parents hit (in any form) their kids. YUCK.
    MY BLOG image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your LO doesn't seem really ready to PT or he would pee/poop in the potty. Maybe you should try putting him in an onesie so he can't take off his diaper. Hey, even I would want to take off a diaper if I was bound to wear one all day and all night long.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"