Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Mysterious rash-help please?

DD has had a red bumpy (looks like pimples) rash for over a week now.  I took her to pedi and they don't know what is causing it but ruled out strep.  I suspected she might be allergic or intolerant to a new fabric softener (DH accidentally bought the scented kind, which I used for a few loads, then switched back to the unscented) but seeing as how the rash still hasn't gone away, I'm not sure if that is the true culprit.  DCP said she has been eating more strawberries recently, and I know those are a common allergen.  The weird thing is, the rash first appeared on her stomach and no where else.  Now the stomach rash is clearing and it is spreading to her arms and legs.  She never seems to be itchy or irritated by the rash.  No other symptoms.  No fever.  I think it bothers me more than it bothers her.  Any guesses what this might be????  Has anyone else's LO had a mystery rash?  We're using steroid cream prescribed by doc but I don't think it is helping much.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Mysterious rash-help please?

• Options

I'm probably not going to be much help except to say that my DS is prone to rashes, so we've seen off-and-on rashes quite frequently. DS did have an allergic reaction to scented bounce dryer sheets (the Outdoor Fresh Scent version). His face swelled up and he got a rash -- poor guy. If that's the culprit, maybe you need to throw all DD's clothes and your clothes through the wash again to make sure everything has been washed since being used with the fabric softener.

Other things that have given our DS a pimple like rash is sunscreen, and having his bare belly touch our carpet all day.

I'd say cut everything out that you think might be a problem and wait for the rash to go away. If and when it does, add one thing back at a time to help figure out what it could be.

Good luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Thanks for responding. We also used the Bounce dryer sheets (Febreeze scent), so maybe that is the culprit.  Right now, whenever I wash her clothes, I'm not using any dryer sheets at all, but you're right, maybe I should wash all of her clothes again to see if that helps. 

Do you use a certain sunscreen that is designed for LOs with sensitive skin?  I'm concerned with summer approaching that she may have a reaction to sunscreen.  I broke out in a rash a few summers ago from a sunscreen and it was a similar type of rash--little bumps/pimples. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"