Breastfeeding
Options

Fiber One?

I'm afraid my two week old is constipated. My MIL said I need to eat alot of fiber enriched foods. I have no problem with that but do you think buying some fiber one for my water would be efficient as well? 

Yesterday we tried the Q-Tip and it worked. He looked so relieved! But today I fed him four times and he only had one bowel movement and that was around 1-2am. What am I doing wrong? Is this normal for EBF babies??? I'm so distraught.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fiber One?

• Options

Are you giving andy vitamins, or taking any new medications or herbs? This can cause it... 

Constipation is rock like poops that are usually coming out in pebbles, Normal BF poop is runny or pasty yellow with cottage cheese or a seedy look to it. Occasional green or brown is normal as long as isn't thicker than tooth paste. 

I have been told not to stick anything in the babies rectum because it can cause them to be dependant on that stimuli to poo... His bowels are still immature so he may strain or grunt or even get red faced when going... these are normal if he screams in pain or has blood in his stool that is call for alarm. 

I am confused are you only nursing about 4 times a day? That isn't very much at that age, usually a two week old eats anywhere from 8-12 times a day. If you feel like he needs more diapers (should have about 5+ sopping wet diapers and 2-4 poopies at that age) Offer the breast every 2 hours during the day, and 4 hours at night and get babies weight checked to make sure he is gaining well. By two weeks most newborns should be back to their birth weight and some beyond...

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options

Oh! No I am nursing 8-12 times a day. I was referring to his last bowel movement how many times I have fed him so far since I posted. I am not taking any extra vitamins, just trying to eat healthy. He grunts but nothing comes out but him passing gas and it smells pretty bad. 

Yes his poo has been yellow with seeds in them but nothing like before. I'd be lucky if I get a skid mark in his diaper.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"