Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Allergies?

Is it possible for a 15 month old to have allergies?  We have the clear faucet nose, dry cough and watery eyes.  Initially I thought maybe teething, but the watery eyes make me think allergies.  DH and I take over-the-counter allergy meds, but I don't know if there is a children's version that would be ok since he is under 2. 

Is there another course of treatment that anyone would recommend?   TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Allergies?

• From what I know, they can get them and I think DS has them.  What about Children's Benadryl?  Kids under 2 can take it. Just double-check with your pharm., but we've been given the go ahead.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • DS had allregies when he was around 9 months. Our pedi actually told us to use children's zyretec at a very low dose. But after giving it to him once, I got too nervous. I did the chest rub at night to help with the cough. And he was stuffy, so saline spray in the nose.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSailorGray:
    From what I know, they can get them and I think DS has them.  What about Children's Benadryl?  Kids under 2 can take it. Just double-check with your pharm., but we've been given the go ahead.

Just talked to nurse at Ped's office today and she recommended trying it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My son has been taking zyrtec since he was 8 months old, and my daughter from about the same age as well.  Our pedi gave us the correct dose, it says 2 and older on the box, but they just recommended a smaller dose.  I forget what it was at that time, I'm sure it was based on their weights anyway.  If the benedryl doesn't work, we've always had good luck with zyrtec.  Good luck
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    image&nbspimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the advice ladies!  We are off to the store!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD has allergies (environmental & food), and asthma. She takes Children's Zyrtec daily. We only give Benadryl for true reactions like hives and swelling. It's not a preventative, so it shouldn't be used long-term. Plus you have to dose every 4-6 hrs, as opposed to once/day with Zyrtec. Just food for thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"