December 2010 Moms

Extinction method... trying to hang in!

We are doing nap training starting today--extinction method. Her naps have always been awful. She sleeps 30-40 minutes at a time and has dark circles under her eyes by the end of the day. Poor thing.

I am following Healthy Sleep Habits and watching her cues. She was up at 7 and down for a nap by 7:55. Went down right away and slept until 8:55.

BUT... she showed sleep cues again at 9:30 so I put her down again. We've been listening to her cry for 22 minutes. This sucks!! Tell me to hang in there. :/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Extinction method... trying to hang in!

• Typing this as Lily is screaming in her crib.  Ughgh I feel so cruel!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAndreaMom:
    Typing this as Lily is screaming in her crib.  Ughgh I feel so cruel!

Same here.  Not sure how much longer I can last, but she NEEDS to take a nap.  She woke up at 8 and hasn't slept since then.    She's really screaming too, not just crying.  Ughhhhhh...

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemands629:

Well, I failed!  I went in there after about 30 minutes of her crying and picked her up.  She sat on my lap, and is now nursing.  I guess we'll try again once she's done because she's literally only slept for 15 minutes today so far.

Why does she sleep fine at daycare, but not with mommy-care?

I have no idea!  And why does LO sleep anywhere for naps BUT her crib?!?!  She sleeps 12 hrs. at night in her crib?!?!

Mama's already into the Riesling.  It's gotta be 5:00 somewhere right????  

• We've been trying the extinction method the past week, and I thought he would have gotten better by now but he's still beenn crying for at least 20 minutes every night Sad  I hope it gets better soon!
  • DS fights his naps like no other...not sure why this method is SO much more difficult in the daytime than at nighttime! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PLEASE post to let us know how this works for you.  im so afraid to start because i worry that if i dont help him to nap his night sleep will go down the tubes.  and i need the 4 hours i get!  my babe is super persistent so i know its going to be an all day scream fest.
  • I feel your pain! Extinction has worked pretty darn well for us for her nighttime sleep, but I just can't get her to nap in her crib. About the only way I can get her to nap is by nursing to sleep and laying there with her in my bed. I know that's got to come to an end, but I also need to keep my sanity. Maybe I'll join you ladies with that glass of wine! lol
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hang in there - maybe your LO wasn't quite tired & she was just bored or something. Don't beat yourself up - it's okay to experiment and see what works.

We used HSHHC and it took about a week for nap training and about 5 additional days for night training (we did them separately). Now we have maybe 2 or 3 minutes of crying ALL DAY, and 2 or 3 good naps along with 12 hours of sleep (waking 1 time at night).

Do you have a nap routine? We have about a 5 minute one that helps to signal LO that it's time to nap.

GL

• Well, I'm glad I'm not alone at least!

I've been reading all of rma's tips and hoping I can get her naps under control soon. Problem is, my mom watches her during the week and I know she's not going to want to hear her cry it out. So doing this today and tomorrow might not make any difference. Should I just tell my mom that this is what we're doing and she's going to have to suck it up?

For that earlier nap, LO fussed/cried for 40 minutes, slept for about 20, then fussed/cried for 10. I got her out then and she was all smiles.

Now I'm trying for her ~1pm nap. She was clearly tired so I put her down and she fussed for 5 minutes and now it's quiet. Hopefully she's out and this nap will be at least an hour. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so glad that you posted this. we started today and in the morning he cried for 20 minutes and slept for 30. He is down now and cried for 3 minutes and only slept for 15 so i left him in there. he then cried for 15 more and went back to sleep. not looking foward to tonight! i have always nursed him to sleep, but you gotta stick with it! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
  • Doing it here starting today too.  He has had 4 naps all 25 min or less since 7 am.  He is SOOOOOO tired and crabby and has cried so much he is refluxing all over the place but something has to give.  He is NEVER happy anymore cuz he is always overtired.  I am curious what some people use for a nap routine?  Today I brought him into a darkened bedroom, rocked for 5 minutes singing you are my sunshine and then put him in his crib after exactly 5 minutes.  One of the naps he fell asleep in that five minutes but then only slept 15.  The rest he screamed for at least 25-30, then slept 20-25.  And Mommy sat on the couch crying right along with him at least twice.  This SUCKS!
  • imagemissliz01:
    I feel your pain! Extinction has worked pretty darn well for us for her nighttime sleep, but I just can't get her to nap in her crib. About the only way I can get her to nap is by nursing to sleep and laying there with her in my bed. I know that's got to come to an end, but I also need to keep my sanity. Maybe I'll join you ladies with that glass of wine! lol

This for the naps but we're doing Ferber at night.  It's been 11 nights and it's going... ok... 

Married 7/10/2009 * DD 12/2/2010 * DS 4/24/2014
    2 babies in heaven (mc)

Blog: ForLoveofCupcakes.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"