Pregnant after IF
Options

For those of you planning on having another child after this pregnancy...

How soon do you think you'll start trying again? I know this is one of those jumping the gun type questions since our LO isn't even here yet, but DH and I were talking about it the other day and I was so surprised when he said he had no problem starting as soon as we could and/or felt comfortable with it.  I'm okay with 2 under 2 and I just wonder how it's all going to go down for #2.  A friend of mine who dealt with infertility and did IVF got pregnant on her own with her 2nd a few months after her daughter was born because they assumed it just would never work and didn't bother preventing. Guess not! 

Have you and your SO talked about it?

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

TTC #2 off and on since 7/12

Re: For those of you planning on having another child after this pregnancy...

• Options

Yep, DH and I have talked about it. We plan on not preventing once LO is here. If, after a year, we aren't pregnant on our own, we will look to our RE for assistance again. I will be 36 when this one is born, and DH will be (almost) 39. We both would ideally like to be done having babies by (or close to, for DH) age 40....assuming everything works out! 

DH has a daughter from his first marriage. This child will be my first, his second. I always wanted to have at least 2 bio kids, and he is comfy with 2 together and his older daughter for a total of 3. Hoping the plan works out somehow! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SAIFW
  • Options

We have three frosties and plan to try for another but I am going to wait about 2 years after Foster is here because I am in school and I will have clinicals the whole second year and I would like to get that done so that I have enough time and energy to put into the whole process.

It makes me sad to think of waiting that long but I think that its the right thing to do. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have 9 frosties waiting.  We would like to have a least one more and will probably try about 12-18 months after the boys are here.  My dh is already saying "we have to have a girl".
  • Options
    I forgot to put in my original post that we have 4 frosties, but I think we're going to "see what happens" first.  I learned so much from my current experience that I feel like it will be even better and not as stressful the 2nd time around.

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

• Options
    We decided that we will do a fresh IVF cycle 1.5 years after our peanut arrives. We also won't be using anything to stop from getting pregnant after the baby is born, so miracles can happen, right?
  • Options
    Yup, we've talked about it before and have decided that no matter what we plan now, we may change our minds in a couple of years. We've always said we wanted 2 children, but are now thinking we may like more. But who knows, once our LO's are here, we could revert back to our "two is the magic number for us" mind frame :0)
  • Options
    We plan on not using any birth control after this little one is born.  If we are not pregnant by the time this one is 12-18months then we will seek help from the RE again.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    We've talked about it some. Our ideal situation would be to have two children total and we have two frosties, so we'll transfer one at a time (assuming the first one doesn't stick). DH had the crazy idea that we'll be able to get pregnant on our own now. Uh, yeah honey, every infertile wishes that, but I don't think my Fallopian tubes are just going to magically start working. Besides, I'd like to use our frosties because I feel a connection to them. I don't know what we'd do if we had "leftovers" because I'm not on board with donating them OR destroying them. :( ETA: we'll wait a couple of years to try anything again. We're 30 and neither of us feels like there's a huge time crunch when it comes to having one more child.
  • Options
    We have 8 frozen embies left to work with so my plan (and hubby seems to agree) is to have the baby and wait about a year and then do FET.  When those are done then we are done.  If I do this, i'll be 36 when I get preggo again and that is about my 'cut off' in my mind for having a child, so i feel good about it.
  • Options

We have talked about it some.  We want more kids 1 or 2 more kids to complete our family.  And whenever we talk about the future we always talk about our "kids".  I don't think I will go back on any type of birth control and just be careful with the timing for the first 6 months and then start trying naturally again.  If we don't get pregnant naturally by next May then we will go back to the RE.   

Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We have talked about this a lot and we really want our kids close together in age. We are going to not prevent it and see what happens. If nothing happens after 8 months or so we will go back to the RE.

Before DH responded well to clomid and his count increased within a month or so of taking it so hopefully he will respond nicely again, if we need it. Which I am guessing we will.

After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Options
    Yes, we have definitely discussed it. We are going to try for a year on our own after this baby comes. If nothing happens by then we'll do a frozen cycle with our two snowbabies. If that doesn't work, we'll probably wait another year to do a fresh cycle. I still hate IF. Boo.
  • Options

Having an only child is not an option for me.  I am an only child and very much want more than one child.

So, as of right now, I plan on nursing for 5 months or so.  I have to be done breast feeding before we can start treatments.  We plan on doing DE for #2.  And I will only do a single embryo transfer.  I just don't think I could handle 3 under 2 with a full time job.

I do feel pressure to complete my family ASAP.  I am 39 years old and I am ready for the next phase of our life - raising our children, no longer trying to create them.

And I have no fantasies about getting pregnant on my own or even getting pregnant with my own eggs.

• Options
    We have one frozen embryo and will do a FET probably early on in 2012.  I'll be almost 40 once we have this baby so I'm not sure we'll try anymore on our own.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    We definitely won't prevent - we'll likely start trying on our own as soon as I'm cleared for sex.  And we'll save up for another IVF while we're doing that.  I don't think we can do IVF while I'm BFing so if it comes to that it will be around a year before we could cycle. 
  • Options

Obviously mother nature has taken care of birth control for us haha. So, we will never be using that again. RE says we will probably never get pg naturally but if the good Lord allows it, i'll definetly take it. I'd like a suprise pregnancy : ).

We only have 1 frostie left ... and RE isn't too uplifting that it will thaw well and take *since we transferred 2 this time and only the 1 stuck* but we plan on trying it out in a few years. We're hoping to get this loan paid off on Mia next year and then start saving for a FET/Fresh cycle for a year or 2 after that.

• Options

We've talked about it.  Ideally we would like 3 children.  Since our issue was my PCOS I think we'll just avoid (using condoms) at first because I'm curious to see if I might ovulate on my own after this.  If I don't seem to be ovulating after a few months then I'll go back on the pill (I think. I need to discuss this with my RE).  We're not comfortable with another baby right away for financial reasons and otherwise.  

DH and I are both 26 and I'm okay with waiting a couple years for another baby.  We decided that when LO turns 2 we'll try on our own for a few months and if I'm not ovulating then we'll go back to the RE.  Of course this can always change!

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have three frosties that had PGD and showed that they were all normal. We know the sexes of them too. We had always agreed on just two kids, but since we're having twins, I don't know. I'm not sure whether we'll try for another and if we do, I don't know if we're going to keep our frosties. I really want to because we know that they are healthy and they're all ready for us but it's really expensive to keep them for just the possibility that we'll want to use them.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options

imageetoyama:
    Besides, I'd like to use our frosties because I feel a connection to them. I don't know what we'd do if we had "leftovers" because I'm not on board with donating them OR destroying them. :(

I feel this way too.  It's a tough situation when all of that is thrown in the mix. Of course it would be wonderful to miraculously get pregnant on my own, but then what to do about the frosties.  I'll be 33 this year and DH will be 34 and we had decided we would just have 2 kids (unless for some reason we end up with twins or something the next time around). 

• Options
    jjabs18jjabs18 member

DH & I have discussed it, but haven't come up with a concrete plan yet. Of course our families have told us all about the people that couldn't get pregnant, did IVF and then bam got pregnant right away after they had the 1st baby. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen for us, but maybe. I feel like birth control is completely unnecessary in our situation, but we'll see.

We have 10 frosties, so ideally I would like to do a FET in August 2013. We aren't sure how many we'll transfer though. DH only wants 2 children and I've always wanted 3. We've discussed our options and since only 1 took this time I'm on board with transferring 2 again, DH is not as sure. We have some time to figure that out though. 

12/10 Dx with high levels antisperm antibodies (female)
    IVF#1 Jan/Feb 2011 Lupron Follistim 1/29
    ER 2/10 28 Retrieved 21 Fertilized w/ICSI
    ET 2/15 Transferred 2 beautiful embryos, 10 frosties
    Beta #1 2/24-141~Beta #2 2/28-1007
    1st u/s HB 116 2nd u/s HB 133
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have 4 frosties and we sure hope one of them will be our second child. I'm 36 so we won't wait very long, we're thinking 6 months after this baby is born/as soon as I'm cleared for a FET.
    Sept. 2010: IVF #1= BFP; May 2012: FET #1= blighted ovum, D&C; FET #2= ?? Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We aren't sure if we'll have a second child, but if we do, then it will probably be 2.5-3 years after this one is born that we would think about TTC.  About a year before, hubby will go back on hcg shots to restore his fertility. (He has hypogonadism and has to supplement his testosterone. He does that via hcg shots when he wants to be fertile, and during times when his fertility doesn't matter...he does that via androgel which makes him have no sperm.)
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"