Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Cytotec vs. D&C

Looks like my body is not going to complete my miscarriage on it's own. My OB has offered me Cytotec or a D&C. She said she doesn't usually use Cytotec on women like me who have never given birth but she also said that the D&C could scar my cervix and make getting pregnant difficult in the future.I have until next Wed. to decide. What did you chose and would you go that route again?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cytotec vs. D&C

• Options

Hi there,

Sorry ot hear you are going through this.  I had my miscarriage back on April 14th and have been naturally trying to finish it out, but after many ultrasounds there was just a piece that wouldn't leave.  Yesterday I had a D & C and so far this morning feel fine.  I believe there are complications with everything, but while still super emotional about the whole experience, know that now I'm clean and will not run the risk of infection.  Whatever you choose, it's the choice of you and your partner and then you again.  So far day after the procedure I would do it again for the piece of mind that I won't be running infections from left over tissue pieces...although may have some more tears today as now it's fully over!  Hang in there, good luck this week, lots of people are here for you! :)

• Options
    I tried the Cytotec and it didnt work for me so I had to have a D&C anyways.  If I went back and did it over again I would just go for the D&C especially bc it prolonged my pg and we had to wait longer to try again.  The D&C was a piece of cake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #1 11/18/10 EDD 7/25/11 MMC 1/7/11 D&C 1/27/11 BFP #2 8/21/11 EDD 4/29/12 DD#1 4/19/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMejin215:
    I tried the Cytotec and it didnt work for me so I had to have a D&C anyways.  If I went back and did it over again I would just go for the D&C especially bc it prolonged my pg and we had to wait longer to try again.  The D&C was a piece of cake.

This is what happened to me too!  It was termed an incomplete miscarriage.  The only thing I have to add is that I seriously regret doing the Cytotec, because of the pain.  I wasn't prescribed and was told to take 400mg of ibuprofen, it didn't help at all!  I was doubled over in the bathroom floor for an hour of the process from the severe cramping.  I also vomited several times.  It isn't like this for everyone, but it was for me.  The D&C was just much easier!

BFP #1- 01/16/11 Missed miscarriage 02/14 Cytotec followed by D&C 02/18 BFP #2- 07/14/11 Missed miscarriage 08/12/11 Awaiting my D&C and subsequent testing Anniversary
  • Options
    I've had two miscarriages - one last year in June and one this past March 2011.  The first one they recommended cytotec and I can tell you my experience was very traumatic and painful and I immediately scheduled for a D&C for the second miscarriage that I had this past March.  Every woman is different but my experience was much like smssakai described - I was given cytotec on Thursday and I had really mild cramping on and off over the weekend and then on Monday afternoon, I was doubled over on the bathroom floor.  The ambulance was called and I was rushed to the ER where they performed an emergency D&C.  It was an awful experience for me but I've read where other women haven't had any issues.  Good luck to you.
    Me: 40 DH: 38 Married 10/2007 TTC since 6/2008 Issues: Blocked Right Fallopian Tube, Advanced Maternal Age, Weight, Insulin Resistance, Possible PCOS; Myomectomy via laparotomy - May 2007 Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) - February 2009 Celioscopy - June 2009 Spontaneous Pregnancy April 2010 Missed Miscarriage June 2010 at 12.5 weeks (embryo measured 8 weeks) D&C June 28, 2010 New RE September 2010 IUI #1: October 2010- Gonal-F + Ovitrelle; IUI #2: November 2010- Gonal-F + Ovitrelle; IVF Egg Retrieval: February 14, 2011 (classic, no ICSI); IVF Embryo Transfer (2): February 17, 2011; HCG Beta 3/01/2011: 96; HCG Beta 3/03/2011: 162; U/S #1 (6 weeks) - March 14, 2011: No heartbeat; U/S #2 (6 weeks 4 days) - March 18, 2011: Heartbeat 108 bpm,embryo measures 4.2 mm - 5.5 weeks; U/S #3 Missed Miscarriage, March 25, 2011: No heartbeat, embryo measured smaller than previous U/S; D&C March 29, 2011; IVF Transfer of 1 Frozen Embryo (5 day embryo) - June 18, 2011; U/S #1 (7 weeks 4 days) - July 22, 2011 - Heartbeat 150 bpm, embryo measures 13.3mm BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I had both... and i would have done the D&C if i had to do it all over again...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"