Baby Names

From a Brit's point of view...

I would advise you not to name your child Pippa (I'm basing the influx in the name by American friend's FB statuses and some posts around here).

Here's my opinion:

Maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing Pippa in our accents, but in an American accent it sounds ugly. I cringe when I've heard it on the news; my mom called me today and when we talked about the wedding she said everyone in her office was laughing at the news reporters who came over from the US and were trying to say Pippa.

I think it's funny Americans (Well, I live in the US now) are now trying so hard now to act British with their names!

I guess this post is pointless. Just thought I'd put it out there. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: From a Brit's point of view...

• Well your baby is very cute! Haha
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStefaniePace:
    Well your baby is very cute! Haha
    Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never thought about it sounding drastically different. Could you record your voice saying Pippa? Nah, I'll just take your word for it. ;)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Well thats alittle disapointing. I love the name Pippa.  Its short for Philippa? 

I was just sitting here hoping that one of the pregnant women that I know will have a girl and name her Pippa.

• imageforensicmama:
    I've never thought about it sounding drastically different. Could you record your voice saying Pippa? Nah, I'll just take your word for it. ;)

If I knew how and how to post it, I totally would!

I guess maybe I'm the weird OCD name person (as is my mother) so maybe that's why I think it sounds so weird.

I would also chalk it up to the fact that I always had a Pippa in my class, so hearing it so much in an accent makes a non accent sound different.

Just ignore this, I guess! Ha. 

• imagescorch:

Well thats alittle disapointing. I love the name Pippa.  Its short for Philippa? 

I was just sitting here hoping that one of the pregnant women that I know will have a girl and name her Pippa.

Oh no! I regret posting this. I'm sure I'm in the minority who feel this way.

It's quite honestly a beautiful name (I prefer it as a nn). Grier could have possibly been Pippa if it hadn't been so overdone for me in primary school. 

• imagescorch:

Well thats alittle disapointing. I love the name Pippa.  Its short for Philippa? 

Oh no! I regret posting this. I'm sure I'm in the minority who feel this way.

It's quite honestly a beautiful name (I prefer it as a nn). Grier could have possibly been Pippa if it hadn't been so overdone for me in primary school. 

• This is an aside, but I am now trying to figure out to say Grier in a British accent!

I can sort of imagine Camden, and I can totally hear Apollo, but cannot think of how Grier would sound.

I do wish you had a way to record you saying Pippa, Grier, Camden, Apollo so we could hear it.

Anyways, I love Pippa and think it is precious in both a British or American accent, but I can see how it would be grating to have to hear it a billion times in one day all pronounced the wrong way. 

• Hmmm, my dh is British and I just asked him and he said he doesn't hear a difference in how I say it and how he says it. I am pretty sure there are many 'british' names that will never be popular over here.
  • As a 'yank' that's planning on using this name, I was interested in this point of view. I originally heard the name used in an American movie- said by American actors, and I've never noticed a difference in the British pronunciation. Either way though, I love both Philippa and Pippa- said by either accent lol. Although I hope most people heed your advice- I'd definitely prefer it to not get too popular!

(...and FWIW, we chose the name long before the royal wedding!) 

• Kind of as a follow on to this, I'm in New Zealand and there are some names that are just plain ugly in a kiwi accent, but that I relaly like when I hear a British person say them.

Especially some Irish names like Colleen and Shannon.

But I'm not too proud to admit that a broad kiwi accent really grates on me. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Sorry, but this post gets the side eye from me. 
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • This post is very rude. I wasn't even going to respond to it, because I've suspected you as a troll for quite some time now. But seeing the PPs make me unable to resist. So here's my response:

Wow, it's a good thing I didn't name my daughter that. I didn't realize it would sound ugly when I said it! Thank you soo much, Your Royal Highness!

Gag me.

Honestly, it's not that hard to say "Pippa". The one guy that I heard stumble on the name was the (British) BBC broadcaster! In fact, if anything, I'd say it sounds "uglier" when a British person says it, because it comes out "Pipper". 

• imageEaglefoot23:

This post is very rude. I wasn't even going to respond to it, because I've suspected you as a troll for quite some time now. But seeing the PPs make me unable to resist. So here's my response:

Wow, it's a good thing I didn't name my daughter that. I didn't realize it would sound ugly when I said it! Thank you soo much, Your Royal Highness!

Gag me.

Honestly, it's not that hard to say "Pippa". The one guy that I heard stumble on the name was the (British) BBC broadcaster! In fact, if anything, I'd say it sounds "uglier" when a British person says it, because it comes out "Pipper". 

Agreed. My son's name is Philip and I live in the States. The horror! 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • How do the British pronounce "Pippa," then? Can you elaborate?

I'm an American with no discerning regional accent and when I say it, I pronounce it as: Pip-uh.

I'm curious because not only do I think it's a beautiful name, but I had a classmate growing up named Phillipa who went by Pippa and I can't recall any variations in how people pronounced it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • imageBeenThere22:

I think it's funny Americans (Well, I live in the US now) are now trying so hard now to act British with their names!

Confused

Your right, your post is pointless.  Especially this.  Trust me, even if the name I choose for my child does have British origins, I in no way am trying to act British by choosing that name.  By the by, I lived in the UK for two years.  There's plenty of things about the Brits that annoy me.  This type of attitude is one of them.

• imageEaglefoot23:

This post is very rude. I wasn't even going to respond to it, because I've suspected you as a troll for quite some time now. But seeing the PPs make me unable to resist. So here's my response:

Gag me.

I would say I'm sorry, but I don't think voicing my opinion about how some names said in an American accent make it sound ugly is that rude. Is there names not called ugly on here all the name? Also, how the fvck am I a troll?! Thank you for your theory, but I'm actually a unicorn.
  • imageBeenThere22:

I would advise you not to name your child Pippa (I'm basing the influx in the name by American friend's FB statuses and some posts around here).

Here's my opinion:

Maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing Pippa in our accents, but in an American accent it sounds ugly. I cringe when I've heard it on the news; my mom called me today and when we talked about the wedding she said everyone in her office was laughing at the news reporters who came over from the US and were trying to say Pippa.

I guess this post is pointless. Just thought I'd put it out there. 

yes, it is pointless.  it is your opinion and quite rude of you to say that it sounds "ugly".  seriously, how hard is it to say Pippa? 

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • I'm not a Brit but I think Pippa, as a name or nn, only works if you are a Brit. Seriously, all these Royal names posts are driving me nuts. Just because you name your kid after them doesn't meant they'll turn out to be little princes and princeses. They'll probably just be Royal pains!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStefaniePace:
    Well your baby is very cute! Haha

Agreed, Apollo is adorable.

Was it you that questioned your name choice after his birth? I think it's a fabulous choice, and hope you're feeling more confident about it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Fascinating.  Thanks for the enlightenment... Confused
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageled2009:
    I'm not a Brit but I think Pippa, as a name or nn, only works if you are a Brit. Seriously, all these Royal names posts are driving me nuts. Just because you name your kid after them doesn't meant they'll turn out to be little princes and princeses. They'll probably just be Royal pains!

IMHO, I plan to use names like Elizabeth, Caroline, Alexandra, and Catherine - and it doesn't mean I'm naming a child after, say, Queen Elizabeth. Some people just like the classic, timeless names that resonate with royal families. :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • imageled2009:
    I'm not a Brit but I think Pippa, as a name or nn, only works if you are a Brit. Seriously, all these Royal names posts are driving me nuts. Just because you name your kid after them doesn't meant they'll turn out to be little princes and princeses. They'll probably just be Royal pains!

See, this is what drives me crazy.  I've always liked the name Pippa, but now will never use it because people will assume I used it because of the Royal Wedding.  Don't assume you know why anyone chose a name for their child.  (This is coming from someone named Leah born shortly after Star Wars came out.  No, my mother had never even seen it....she just liked the name.  People ARE allowed to like names that other people/characters have, and that doesn't mean they are named AFTER them).

And, no it won't only "work" if you're British.  It's a perfectly acceptable name elsewhere, too.  Just because it may be slightly more popular in Britain than in the US, doesn't mean it's solely a British name.  It's roots are English, but guess what?  That's the language we speak here, too.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageBeenThere22:

I would say I'm sorry, but I don't think voicing my opinion about how some names said in an American accent make it sound ugly is that rude. Is there names not called ugly on here all the name? Also, how the fvck am I a troll?! Thank you for your theory, but I'm actually a unicorn.

It is ridiculous because it is a generalization that all Americans would make it sounds ugly. And it is a generalization that you are making based on a poll of what, two? You and your mom? I can say the same, I polled my dh, and his parents and sister, who are over visiting from the UK, and they all think I say it the same as they do. So I guess my poll cancels out yours.

• imageEaglefoot23:

I've suspected you as a troll for quite some time now.  

I've always felt that this poster is a little off as well but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. Care to PM me?  

• imagebrideandbreve:

imageled2009:

IMHO, I plan to use names like Elizabeth, Caroline, Alexandra, and Catherine - and it doesn't mean I'm naming a child after, say, Queen Elizabeth. Some people just like the classic, timeless names that resonate with royal families. :)

True. My mn is Elizabeth and my sister is Catherine, niether after a Queen. It's just that I don't remember seein Pilipa or Pippa mentioned on her til the past few days. Now all of a sudden everyone loves it. I like Philipa because of Anne of Green Gables, just not sure I like Pippa.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageled2009:
    imagebrideandbreve:

imageled2009:

True. My mn is Elizabeth and my sister is Catherine, niether after a Queen. It's just that I don't remember seein Pilipa or Pippa mentioned on her til the past few days. Now all of a sudden everyone loves it. I like Philipa because of Anne of Green Gables, just not sure I like Pippa.

Why does it matter why someone likes a name? If someone hasn't heard Pippa until now (which I find hard to believe) and likes it, it doesn't mean they want their child to turn out to be a princess, which, by the way, Pippa isn't. Maybe people just like the name. I have always loved the name Pippa but my dh was never on board.

• I've liked the name Philipa since long before there was a "famous" Pippa. My father's name is Philip and, if we have girls, I think a great way to honor him would be to name a DD Philipa (nn Pippa).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image image
  • Not that it would matter to a ton of people, but 'Pippa' in Swedish means 'having intercourse' in a slang kind of way. Just thought I would add. Although her real name is Philippa which I find pretty - just not the nn.
  • imagePhilsWife07:
    Sorry, but this post gets the side eye from me. 

agreed.

pippa sounds silly no matter who says it.  so does gemma, by the way (i mention this name b/c i know it's very british). 

seriously though, people should name their kids whatever they want.

• imagebuckeyeki:
    imageBeenThere22:

Confused

Your right, your post is pointless.  Especially this.  Trust me, even if the name I choose for my child does have British origins, I in no way am trying to act British by choosing that name.  By the by, I lived in the UK for two years.  There's plenty of things about the Brits that annoy me.  This type of attitude is one of them.

lol!  well said.

"trying so hard now to act british."  give me a break!

• imageHannahO28:
    imageEaglefoot23:

I've suspected you as a troll for quite some time now.  

I've always felt that this poster is a little off as well but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. Care to PM me?  

Oh, puh-lease. Have fun trying to figure out ways to convince yourselves I'm fake!
  • ::eye roll::  Personally, I have yet to meet an American "trying so hard now to act British" in any way.  Anyone can go there if they want.  Many classic names are often used by the British, that doesn't mean they own them for goodness sake!

Maybe more people like the name Pippa today because they weren't really thinking of it before being bombarded with it by the media 24/7... but that is the same as Vivienne and Knox and Violet and Seraphina and any name that the media brings to public attention (the point is that people might just like the name and aren't just Brangelina, brit, etc. wannabes).  

ETA: I thought this was going to be a worthwhile post about a name, something like the pp above who advised that the name is slang for sex or something. 

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • i'm american fwiw and i have known plenty of people who try to act british because they think it's cool so i can see how it would be annoying. i've loved the name philippa for years but my husband hates it. if i used it, i would probably just call her philippa- i think pippa is cute but it's not for me.
  • My daughter is named Vivian, but it doesn't mean I want to be Angelina Jolie (we picked the name out before we even got married.... and she almost didn't get named that BECAUSE of Brangelina. )

FWIW, I love the name Philippa and think Pippa is a super cute nickname. I brought Philippa up to my husband as a potential name and he looked at me like I was on crack. DD was also almost named Katharina, nn Kate. 

imageimage

• Um, Philippa/Pippa was on my long list of girl names.  Because my DH is a Philip.  It had nothing to do with the Middleton sister.  

And I also detect little to no difference in the way the NN is pronounced here vs. overseas.  (Although I will grant you that certain words/names sound prettier with a British accent than an American accent.  Just don't think this is one of them.)  

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't really see your point here... 

• Do you know what a unicorn is?
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Whoa- totally rude post.

I guess Apollo is a British name too... you surely wouldn't be trying to copy another culture... the only people who do that are those darn Americans who want so badly to be Brits.

See how assumptions made about individual people and broad cultures, particularly when its an issue as sacred as naming your child, will always come off as rude?? You never know why someone chooses a name. Could be just because you heard it and like it. Could be a relatives' name, a dear lost friend, a deeply sentimental reason, no particular reason at all. Its none of your business, or mine. Get a clue!

• We are also a British/American family living in the US and there isn't a huge difference in pronunciation - not enough to make it 'ugly' as you say.  Pippa is not a word like schedule or commentary where the pronunciation difference is more obvious.  And even within Britain, the way someone says Pippa differs because regional accents vary dramatically so I completely agree with you - your post IS pointless.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DH's family came here from GB way back in the day and we have some names on our list that are traditional British names.

Guess I'll just cross them off.........

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"