Stay at Home Moms
Options

Give it to me straight, PT mamas...

Hey y'all- I'm gonna join you even though I work PT! So I had my baby almost 12 weeks ago. I thought I wanted to stay home when I was KU (we already were living on my husbands salary alone and were pretty comfortable) and then when I had the baby, I was a little horrified at how isolated I felt and felt the need to get right back in the work force (I'm an educational coordinator). Fast forward 6 weeks, I had made a mommy social network and am doing better with the whole SAH thing. Now I wanted to go back part time- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5-7 hours a week. Arrange it with my previous company- score. Fast forward 6 more weeks, my son is bursting with personality and we're really getting to know each other and I've found activities to keep us busy for 3-4 days a week. If you work PT, do you find yourself longing to be a SAH? Or is it a great balance of me time and baby time? I love love love my career, but I'm also totally digging my son. If you SAH full time, do you wish you could work (doing something you are super passionate about)? Money isn't really an issue- in fact, working part time just barely covers daycare. And once you add in gas, it will pretty much break even. I've spent most of my maternity leave thinking I might have the perfect balalnce but with DC looming next Tuesday, I'm having second thoughts! TIA for any thoughts, opinions and advice!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Give it to me straight, PT mamas...

• Options
    I would never work just to break even, unless my career was super important to me and I really felt I needed to keep my foot in the door for when I wanted to return FT when my kids were in school or something. But having a career, now or ever, means nothing to me compared to the time I get with my LOs.
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Options

I liked working PT, but I worked around DH's schedule which kind of sucked.  If I could find a good PT daycare or DH didn't work so much, I wouldn't have quit.  DD would love to be in daycare PT.  There are also a lot of preschool programs that are Tues and Thurs around here that would be cheaper with before and after preschool care if that would be an option in a couple of years.

Do you plan on going back FT at some point?  If so, I would definitely stay PT.  It sounds like a good balance.  Even if you are not netting a whole lot, it will keep you in your field and be easier to find a job FT in the future.

DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work PT.  I love our babysitter.  It has been a positive experience for our daughter.  She gets more 1:1 time with her dad bc she is often with him while i am working.  lots of pros for DD, DH & our finances.  i really like my job.  i like being at home more.  i would rather SAH FT & not work.
  • Options
    I have done all three, I worked full time after my first son and hated it, I cried every day and quit to stay home when he was 9 months. Then I had no idea what to do with him all day and was frustrated. I worked part time at night in the mall just for fun and loved it. I got to wear more than sweat pants and had a reason to wear make up and talk to adults. I went back to work full time and now that we just had our second son I am staying home again. I think it's the best place. If your worried about eventually going back to work I would'nt. The employers I have talked to are mostly parents and understand why you took a break to be with your family.
  • Options

There are many of other part time working moms here, so even if you work part time you can definitely participate here. :)  I tend to post on both this board and the working moms board, since I can relate with the moms in different ways.

I don't long to SAH full time. Although I make out financially since I make my own hours and have childcare provided by my DH/parents, I'd work even if I had to pay to work. The four months I was home full time I was completely miserable. Even though I could find activities to do with the kids to get out of the house during a day, it still wasnt enough for me. I love everything about working part time-the cup of coffee I have in the morning in peace, peeing without a toddler following me (lol), talking to adults about things other than kids, the mental stimulation I get from working, the benefits to my kids to get alone time with their father and grandparents, etc. I also find that I can still do activities with the kids like story time at the library, trips to the children's museum during the week, etc. I see no cons for working in my case.

Honestly, I know it's not a popular opinion, but staying out of the workforce full time for more than a year is career suicide in many cases (I work in HR, so I know for a fact!) I think working part time is the best option if you want to transition back to your career in the future. Although some hiring managers/HR are sympathetic to a woman who took a break from the workforce, there are many that aren't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKC_13:

Honestly, I know it's not a popular opinion, but staying out of the workforce full time for more than a year is career suicide in many cases (I work in HR, so I know for a fact!) I think working part time is the best option if you want to transition back to your career in the future. Although some hiring managers/HR are sympathetic to a woman who took a break from the workforce, there are many that aren't.

I agree. My background is also HR and I've seen a lot of unsympathetic companies. I've also been worked full time with kids, been a strictly SAHM and now a WAHM. Out of all of them I like the WAHM the best. I also work PT now but not in HR. I set my own hours and mostly work at night. I will be picking up more day hours in the fall. You have to do what you feel is right for you and your family. 

• Options

i work pt teaching and i love it. then again, i was never "miserable" working ft for 2 yrs after my daughter was born, nor was i bored out of my mind when i stayed home for 8 mos. after our son was born. you make your own happiness. i also have a great schedule -- gone about 4-5 hrs a day, and i make what i think is good $. the balance is awesome and my husband and i both get to take part in the day to day activities of the house and the kids!

if i quit, it would be career suicide. nobody is going to hire a teacher with 14 yrs and 45 credits beyond a masters...and my pension is building, as is my 403b...plus my mom watches the kids...i kind of have it made!

• Options

I work PT, 3 days a week (8-4) since having my second DD. I worked 4 days after my first. I am not making a ton of money after daycare but enough for us to have money to "play with" in our budget or if things go wrong and it will more than cover DD1s preschool come fall. My job/boss if flexible and when my day is done, I'm done (but I still get paid the full day) so if I finish an hour or two early I can often get errands done or a little house cleaning in before I get the girls. As a nurse, I have many options for work where I could possibly avoid daycare, but I'm not willing to work as many nights/weekends/holidays as some of those jobs would require. I am also not meant to stay home full time. My work days are actually way less tiring that my days with the kids full time!

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• Options

I have worked p/t since DD was 3mo old - doing my old f/t job with a job share partner. Sometimes working from home, sometimes in the office, sometimes as little as 5 hours a week, sometimes as much as 25 hours a week.

I like my job. I love the people I work with. On the other hand I have great SAHM friends and plenty of things to do at home.

In some ways I like that I do a bit of both. It's nice having a break from the kids on a regular basis and having adult conversations. It's nice to be able to spend a lot of time with my kids. But either job (SAH or office) would be easier if I was doing them fulltime. It's easier to have a good routine at home with the kids if you're home every day. And it's definitely easier to get work done if you're there every day and not always playing catchup.

But I have to say, I would be hard pressed to do the office work if the best I could do is break even. The only way I could do that is if working p/t would keep my license up to date or something like that (not that I work in field with licenses, just an example).

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"