Eco-Friendly Family

Really proud of my nephew today.

My IL's always sorta roll their eyes at a lot of our EF efforts.  Well, my nephew (B's sister's oldest) told me tonight that he learned in school this week that, during an average shower, you use 6gal of water per minute.  He said, "Even if you only take a 10min shower, that's 60gal of water PER SHOWER!  That's like, 420gal a week if you shower every day!  That is SO wasteful."  So he said he was going to start turning off the shower while he soaps/shampoos and asked his mom and my FIL to buy low flow shower heads. 

I know they probably gave him a lot of flack about it but he's determined.  Seeing him grow into a eco-conscious & persistent young man is just really cool!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Really proud of my nephew today.

• That *is* awesome!

Even as someone constantly around teenagers, I forget the power of future generations. When my students started giving me flack for passing out a packet I had photocopied (versus making it available for download, as my classroom is a computer lab) because of the amount of resources necessary to make paper, I had an "A ha" moment: THESE KIDS can make a difference. MY KID can make a difference. Seems obvious enough, but I really had discounted their ability to make a change.

Perhaps because I still view myself as a member of the generation with the power. It was also a sad moment when I realized that I am the influencer, not the move-maker. Read: I am old. Sad

• Loading the player...
  • I agree, that IS awesome!!!! :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageSoyager:

Perhaps because I still view myself as a member of the generation with the power. It was also a sad moment when I realized that I am the influencer, not the move-maker. Read: I am old. Sad

Totally understand.  I recently had the revelation that I am no longer the future. My kids are the future and I'm just that old chick trying to, not only protect the future for them, but help them figure out how to make the most of it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That is fabulous!

and wow - I waste a lot of water in the shower...  Embarrassed

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Very cool!
    Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Yes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Very cool!  And a great reminder for me to try to make my showers shorter.

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Yay for your nephew! A Navy shower is a great way to save water. I wish I could manage to stick to it in the winter Embarrassed   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"