October 2011 Moms
Options

friend opinion just made me want to say "shhh"

I finally told my friend today that I am pregnant.  we were out for lunch. I also mentioned that we had to have an amnio due to our poor NT scan results. 

her reply, "that;s why I didnt tell anyone until all the results were back"  (um, thanks.  I was hoping to tell my friends to get some support.  But I guess, you are suggesting I jinxed myself by telling people? there is no such thing as jinxing.  The baby is in there, if he has down syndrome, I cant change it through prayer, etc) 

Then I mentioned later on that I was going to go to the maternity store today for the first time for some new pants.  She said "you dont need them yet.  You wont show til 5 months" I replied that even though today I am not that huge, a lot of days, I feel like my clothes are too tight.   And doesnt she realize that we all show at different times.  Thanks for making me feel like a fatso! 

Re: friend opinion just made me want to say "shhh"

• Options

Geez, that was not very nice of her to say. :(

Sorry you had to listen to that!

• Options

Wow, shocking for someone that's been pg before!

Since it appears that I am never getting my NT scan results, I guess I should just never announce? haha.  Not like my growing belly will give it away or anything!  Sorry you had to deal with that! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gosh, boo on her! Way to be supportive!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
     Well phoo. That's not very nice at all.
  • Options

imageLillyMD:
    Gosh, boo on her! Way to be supportive!

Luckily my other friend was there that was with me last week when I couldnt stop crying so she was quick to jump in and reassure me again.  And luckily, I am now in a very optimistic place so I was able to explain that my odds are pretty good.  But isnt that what she is supposed to do? 

her sister (who she thinks is Godlike) is also pregnant.  she is 2 months ahead of me.  I remember 2 months ago, when I first found out, that she was so proud that her sister was sporting a little bump.  Also, our other friend that was there started showing very early - way to make her feel bad too. 

• Options
    imagePitaBread:

Wow, shocking for someone that's been pg before!

Since it appears that I am never getting my NT scan results, I guess I should just never announce? haha.  Not like my growing belly will give it away or anything!  Sorry you had to deal with that! 

Have you called your doctor? I didn't hear back and it was due to good news (only informed after asking). Hopefully that's the case for you. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think sometimes friends/family just don't think about what they say before they say it.  A friend of mine judged me for the order in which I told people.  She was upset with me for telling my best friend before I told my parents, but my best friend lives 400 miles away so I knew I didn't have to worry about her spilling the beans when I really needed to tell someone.

Some people just think they need to give an opinion on everything and cannot just be supportive. It's sad, but true.

• Options
    Ugh, open mouth, insert foot.  I'm sorry your friend was so insensitive with her comments, but thank goodness your other friend was there to balance her out.  When are you having your amnio?  I hope it gives you peace of mind.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that you are dealing with "friends" like that.  When we were told that we were an ectopic risk, I told a few close friends because I knew that if the pregnancy was ectopic and had to be terminated, I would need some support.  There is no "jinxing" yourself by telling people!  

On a completely side note - if you have a Thyme Maternity near you, check it out - yes, their stuff is normally pretty pricey, but they've marked down a number of their pants from $60 to $20.  I got two great pairs of work pants for $20 each the other day. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

"God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it" 1 Corinthians 10:13
  • Options
    People are idiots. Just do what feels right for you....the "are you wearing maternity clothes already?" question is going on my nerves too. I mean...yes, I am barely showing, but MY clothes is too tight and if I am buying something new, I'll buy a) whatever I please and b) something I can actually wear for the next 3 months and not a jeans a size up.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was adopted so my mom was never pregnant (she was never able to have her own children). She seems to think that every woman's the same and that we all get bigger bellies at the same rate and doesn't understand why I need to be in maternity clothes already. I was a bigger girl to begin with, I haven't been gaining much weight but my belly's definitely bigger. She says a lot of insensitive stuff too. She also asked me why I would tell my friends we were expecting before 12 weeks b/c of my previous m/c's as though I'd jinx myself. Yeah, I was worried about complications but I wanted support just in case something did happen. With the others I didn't tell anyone until after the fact and people didn't know how to deal with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"