Washington Babies

I'm really excited now

I had a pre-natal visit yesterday and I spoke to my dr about the possibility of having baby placed directly on my chest after my c-section and he said that it is now routine for them to let mom have her arms free and that there's a nurse who makes sure baby is breathing and then they immediately put baby on mom for skin to skin contact while they finish up the surgery! This made my day! I'm so excited that I will get to hold my baby right away, as long as baby is doing fine! I hated that I had to wait for twenty minutes before I got to hold Emma.

That's all. It's my happy news for the day. :-)

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I'm really excited now

• Awesome news!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OMG! That is awesome, very excited for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's great!  I'm really excited for you!!!  That was really hard for me, too.  Livy was taken straight to NICU so it was hours before I got to hold her.  I'm so glad that they've made this part of their normal routine!
  • KNemoKNemo member

Oh, this is so exciting!! I am probably going to go the repeat c/s route and this makes my day! Thanks for sharing this, Kam.

One question that popped into my head the other day (don't ask me why) was do they put in a catheter during a scheduled c/s procedure? I had an emergency c/s and had the catheter placed during the insertion of my epidural (hours and hours before the c/s took place). I was hoping I would get to skip the catheter the next time around. I couldn't pee for hours after they removed that darn thing!

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Yay, that's great!  C was a NICU baby so I didn't get that either, but if I have to have another C hopefully I'll get it then.  

Re: Katie's Q, I had a catheter placed after they did the spinal on me. 

image Visit The Nest!

• Yes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • That is awesome, K!!  I spoke to my OB about what to expect.  He said I'll be asked every step if I'm ok with it: wiping baby before I hold him, putting in eye gel, and taking him to the nursery for a bath and weigh in, while I'm in recovery and then bringing him in to me.  Because of this, I added my wishes in my birth plan.  My OB said they are ok with putting off the bath and weigh in up to 2 hours and doing it in my room with me.  Thank goodness!  I don't want to miss a thing and I want him in recovery the whole time, too.  So, I don't blame you for being so excited!!!

Katie- My paperwork states that I will have a catheter for my scheduled c/s.  I'm just going to ask that it be inserted after I'm numb, please! :-P I'm actually worried about the catheter as I've never had one and it weirds me out.

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • imageKNemo:

Oh, this is so exciting!! I am probably going to go the repeat c/s route and this makes my day! Thanks for sharing this, Kam.

One question that popped into my head the other day (don't ask me why) was do they put in a catheter during a scheduled c/s procedure? I had an emergency c/s and had the catheter placed during the insertion of my epidural (hours and hours before the c/s took place). I was hoping I would get to skip the catheter the next time around. I couldn't pee for hours after they removed that darn thing!

I am guessing they'll do the catheter. I was totally grossed out by how much pee they kept emptying out. It's weird. I am guessing that until I can walk once the spinal wears off, I'll be using the catheter. I am going to ask that it not be inserted until AFTER the spinal block.

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had a scheduled C and the cath was put in after the spinal block.  The only thing I had before the block was an IV.  I was scared of the cath, too.

That is awesome that they will do skin to skin right away.  I'm wondering if then they won't have the barrier up between your face and your abdomen.  I didn't have my arms tied down. 

I didn't get to hold my babies until they were 1 day old (Katie) and a week old (Khloe and Ryan). 

Someone mentioned how long it takes for the block to wear off.  After my C, I was brought to my room and I did EVERYTHING I could to get my toes, feet and legs to work.  I focused so hard to wiggle my toes.  Then I started on moving my legs.  Then on sitting up.  Sitting up was the hardest since it made me light headed.  I REALLY wanted to get into the NICU.  They moved me to a reclining rolling chair and brought me in.  I think I was in there in record time (2 hours) but it probably wasn't best for my recovery. 

Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"