Breastfeeding

Thrush - Real Life Advice?

Hi again, ladies! Have read and followed some great links about thrush (thanks again rosiemomma). Currently, both DS and I are taking nystatin and I plan to get some acidophilus today. I've been cleaning my breasts with vinegar/water combo and letting them air dry. We've also been boiling all pacifiers. Any other good advice or things that you think really helped you? To me, it seems like this came on really quickly and my nipples sting quite a bit but I'm really hopeful that with this treatment we can get rid of this yucky yeast quickly!! TIA!!!

Re: Thrush - Real Life Advice?

• LO and I have it too (going on 2 weeks) Mine is in my breast too, glad your not at that point.   All I can suggest is to keep up the boiling pacifiers, cleaning your nipples, use landion lotion, and try and relax.  A friend of mine also suggested eating lots of yogurt for the live cultures.  If your using nursing pads, keep changing them if they are disposable or clean them if you have the reusable. 

Keep it up I know how rough it can be!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • FWIW, I've had thrush various times. I've never used nystatin. I prefer gentian violet. (Be forewarned though. It stains everything!)

Eat yogurt. Make sure it's the plain, unsugared kind. You can also apply it directly to your nipples (yes, I know not everyone would be okay with this. I am just saying that it is something you could do.)

I also eat garlic. I slice a clove and cook it in the microwave with a little butter.

Avoid eating sugary foods. (Sugar feeds yeast.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I battled thrush for about 3 months and the only thing that really helped me were probiotics (the ones in the refrigerator section at the health foods store).  I actually did apply directly to the nip and oh my goodness - it was heaven!  I made a paste of the probiotics and distilled water.  Odd I know - but it really helped me.  I also did cut down on sugary foods as well - that probably helped although I don't want to admit that :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you so much!! That is such great advice. I'm sorry we've all had to go through this but I guess it's just the way things work out sometimes!Yogurt, probiotics, and violet g here I come! Sad about cutting back on sugary foods but if I must...
  • GHBEAGHBEA member

Happy to see this post, I was just going to ask because today I found out I also have a yeast infection.  The only thing I can't do is eat the yogurt because I am allergic to milk products.

Thanks ladies 

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I took diflucan when I had thrush and it worked very well for me....a 2 week course and I was good to go.  I also used some lotrimin cream on my nipples (usually just at night since LO was sttn for ~10hrs) and that seemed to give a lot of relief as well.  Just make sure to wash your nipples before feeding if you use it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"