Special Needs
Options

Lurker with a question - anopthalmia

Hi.  I hope you're okay with me posting here.  I recently started child care for a 2.5 year old boy with anopthalmia (born with no eyes).  Mom doesn't talk too much about it, so I am just looking around for anyone with experience with this, or just some strategies to help a child with visual impairments.  He is not crawling or walking and doesn't have a lot of words.  I have four boys as well, which I think will help with social interaction, and possibly motivate him to move around some.

Do you have any suggestions or strategies to help him?  We're just learning as we go!

Thanks!

Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac

Re: Lurker with a question - anopthalmia

• Options

my first thought is lots of sensory items.  squishy balls, play-doh, floam, things like that.  also things that make noise, wind chimes, spoons, etc.  if his mom doesn't already have these for him maybe suggest bringing him a toy bar or sensory board.  toy bar can be made from pvc and the sensory board is easy to make from foam board and glue things on.  the one i made for my son has his name on the top in big chip board letters (from scrapbooking).

also when doing anything with him help him reach out his hands and feel things.

hope that helps!

• Options
    oh and check out www.wonderbaby.org  it's a site for visually impaired kids
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ayramayram member
    Thanks! Those are great ideas!!
    Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"