Toddlers: 24 Months+

2+ moms, funny story & a question re: breastfeeding

Last night DS and I were playing around on my bed. ?He started giving "the baby" kisses and hugs (so cute). ?Then he puts his hand on my boob and goes "that's another baby." ?DH and I cracked up, and just told him, "no, there's only one baby, it's in mommy's belly." ?Too funny.

But this got me thinking - how will you/did you explain to your older LO breastfeeding, and what "vocab" will you/do you use. ?I'm not concerned so much about explaining that "this is how the baby eats, mommy makes special milk for the baby, etc." ?But DS is a very inquisitive and verbal child. ?So whatever I call my boobs will instantly become part of his vocab and he will use it in public, whenever it occurs to him, etc. ?And he's articulate, so EVERYONE will understand him. He's never inquired about my anatomy so I've never raised the issue, but he probably tells me twice a day "Daddy has a penis, Matthew has a penis, Major [our dog] has a penis ..." etc etc. ?So I fully expect this to be something he'll talk about once this part of my anatomy comes onto his radar screen.

Our policy to this point has been to give him the word if he asks, and to give him the proper name for things. ?So I guess I should tell him that these are Mommy's breasts? ?Ugh. I can just picture him announcing "Those are Mommy's breasts" in the middle of the grocery store. ?Having a verbal child is wonderful, except on these occasions. ?Advice? ?Experiences?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2+ moms, funny story & a question re: breastfeeding

• I thought DS would be more inquisitive, but he hasn't been (he'll be 2 1/2 soon and I have a 7 week old).  He would say "baby eat mommy's chest" even though I didn't think he knew the word chest.  Otherwise he will watch sometimes, but knows that his baby sister is eating milk and he's been fine with that explanation.  And yes, he has tried to use my pump and today I found him trying to put a breast pad under his shirt!  :)  One time when I was pumping he didn't really like that b/c of "mommy's noisy nipples"!  The pumping is weird for him, not the BFing itself.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS is a bit younger than yours but I've found that he's not overly inquisitive because it's just a normal part of life for him.  I do use the word "breast" with him but mostly he just says "LuLu eat Mommy's milk" and when I get my pump out he goes "Oh pump milk for LuLu?"  Haha - he hates when I pump and gets all disappointed because it means I have to sit still and can't play for a bit.  He also points out the breastmilk in our fridge and calls it LuLu's milk.  The hardest part is that I don't cover up to BF at home but do when I'm out and he gets really annoyed that LuLu has to be covered and tries to rip the blanket off. 
    DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • My son sounds similar. We have just been honest with him so now he says sister is getting milk from mommy's boobies, chest or breast.  We also live on a farm so he draws the connection between the pigs, lambs and cows and sometimes uses those words too.  
    E-8/9/08, A-6/7/10, W-1/11/12
  • Eh, everyone knows you have breasts so I wouldn't be concerned. My 2 year old recently walked through Kohl's nursing her barbie and told EVERYONE in the store that Barbie drinks milk from her NEE-ples. It's funny. I think if you just say "I'm feeding the baby" that he probably won't ask any more questions, but by all means tell him they're breasts if he asks!
  • I would just say breasts. All of these replies are cracking me up, too cute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We just say that I am feeding the baby. In the beginning he would say hurt every time...like he thought she was biting me maybe? I would just reassure him that nobody was getting hurt. He hasn't asked anymore than that. He has tried to use my pump and def realizes what is going on... But then again he isn't very vocal. Either way I we just started by saying I was feeding baby and not making a big deal of it and he never asked more.
  • My Kid will tell EVERYONE that Garrett 'eats milk from mommies boobies"  Now that we started suplementing the  last few weeks he will say "Garrett eats for-meal-lia and milk from mommies boobies"  When DS1 is getting jealous he will say "SHUT THOSE BOOBIES"  and once G is done eating, he wan'ts "the boobies closed" LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My 2 year old talks about the baby "eating mommy's milk" and he is interested in the pump and "baby bottles", but not my body. He points out daddy's penis, but never questions me about my body when I get out of the shower. DH is the bigger problem. He tries to get DS1 to say things that would embarass me, like "mommy's boobies are leaking". So far it hasn't stuck because DS isn't very interested in the fact that I have boobies.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSoter1:
    My Kid will tell EVERYONE that Garrett 'eats milk from mommies boobies"  Now that we started suplementing the  last few weeks he will say "Garrett eats for-meal-lia and milk from mommies boobies"  When DS1 is getting jealous he will say "SHUT THOSE BOOBIES"  and once G is done eating, he wan'ts "the boobies closed" LOL
     I just burst out laughing at this one!  These are great.  We just said, "Mia is having milk" and Owen never made mention of anything else.  Thank goodness apparently :)
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Our DS is the same way.  It took him a while to finally ask 'what's this' and then I told him, those are mommy's breasts.  It did feel weird telling him to call them that, but its better than him annoucing boobies or titties in public.  At first he kept saying that I feed the baby with my bellybutton, so I just let that go on for a few weeks.  Then he looked closer and realized I was using my boobs and that's when he asked for clarification.  Just a warning, he also likes to grab them now.  He never paid any attention to my boobs until recently and now he likes to point, ask question and grab...joy!

ETA: DS1 is also very intersted in the pump.  He's obsessed with how much milk I get each time.  I have to show him when I'm done and he'll comment on if it's a lot or not.  As if I don't feel bad enough when I don't pump much milk, I have my 2 yr old giving me grief for it :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use the word "breasts."  He is very understanding of it!  He knows that DD drinks milk from mommy's breasts.  Sometimes when she is crying, he will say, "Mommy, she needs to nurse. "  LOL!  He has also nursed some of his own stuffed animals, very cute!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I've always just said that I"m feeding the baby. My almost 3 year old was feeling a little left out last night and pulled my shirt and bra down and said she wanted milk. I told her that it is only for the baby and that she had that milk when she was little too. She dropped it but....what are you supposed to do?
  • Idk how my DD learned boobies, but that's what she calls them. She used to sit right by me when I was nursing and she would say, "Tommy, eat mommy's boobies". She even started nursing her own dolls, I thought it was cute

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am surprised that breastfeeding didn't bring up very many questions concidering how he is with everything else like who does and doesn't have a penis.

I told Max that Sam's gets milk from mommy's breast. It is sort of like his sippy cup. He really never brought it up. He might comment that Sam wanted milk or was having milk, but that is about it. When I weaned a two months ago he talked about not needing mommy's milk anymore and that only babies drink from mommy. But like I said he really didn't focus on it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not really a stickler for proper names for everything. DS nursed until he was 2 so I didn't want him asking in public for breasts or any other explicit term so we had a code name - nam-nam. That's what I'll do with DS#2 also.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"