February 2011 Moms

Rice cereal for reflux

So after trying our 4th formula, our ped told us to add a bit of rice cereal to help with his reflux. She recommended 1 tsp per ounce. If you have done this, how long did it take you to notice a difference? If this doesn't work I am taking BMP's advice and buying a rain pancho!

Edit: To add I am a bit nervous to do this due to all the negative things I have read. Anyone else doing this? Has it helped? 

image     image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

image    image

Re: Rice cereal for reflux

• We started adding rice cereal 2 days ago per the Pedi's recommendation.  We add 1 tsp for every 2 ounces (probably b/c DD is on the petite side) and so far there has definitely been a decrease in her spit up.  Actually, she hardly spits up at all when we add it.  I've read that I should watch out for constipation and weight gain but so far so good.  And we haven't been adding it to every bottle, every few bottles we leave it out.  But b/w the rice cereal and the zantac, she has had a couple of good days with her reflux/spitting up issues.  Fingers crossed that this continues and that we can eventually wean her off both.

ETA: Oh, and we noticed the difference immediately when we added it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageIntheSpring10:

We started adding rice cereal 2 days ago per the Pedi's recommendation.  We add 1 tsp for every 2 ounces (probably b/c DD is on the petite side) and so far there has definitely been a decrease in her spit up.  Actually, she hardly spits up at all when we add it.  I've read that I should watch out for constipation and weight gain but so far so good.  And we haven't been adding it to every bottle, every few bottles we leave it out.  But b/w the rice cereal and the zantac, she has had a couple of good days with her reflux/spitting up issues.  Fingers crossed that this continues and that we can eventually wean her off both.

ETA: Oh, and we noticed the difference immediately when we added it.

I am so glad to hear it is working for you. Our ped didnt specify but I think I may do every other bottle at first. I went ahead and tried it, so far so good. 100 times less spit up/vomiting and no choking like we normally have. We are trying this before going to meds. Looks like our LO's are close in age.  

image     image

image    image

• Loading the player...
  • bmp84bmp84 member

YAY!!!

Fingers are crossed for no constipation issues!

• imagebmp84:

YAY!!!

Fingers are crossed for no constipation issues!

I am hoping doing every other bottle might help with that. I noticed he had a bit with the Enfamil AR so I dont think this will be too much different....we will see!  Have you done the rice cereal or is the AR doing the trick?

image     image

image    image

• bmp84bmp84 member
    Her constipation is so bad with the AR that I'm scared to do the rice cereal! We started mixing the AR with regular Enfamil, but she'd still spit up like the exorcist.
  • I asked DS ped about it and she said to wait. It was a bit disappointing because he is constantly choking on vomit all day! We got threw at least 3-4 new shirts on him. How bad would it be to go against her recommendation? It is my baby after all...her only reason not to do it was because it can cause food allergies. I know my sister did it with her DD. She's perfectly fine...
    Happy mommy to a sweet baby boy! CafeMom Tickers
  • imagebmp84:
    Her constipation is so bad with the AR that I'm scared to do the rice cereal! We started mixing the AR with regular Enfamil, but she'd still spit up like the exorcist.

The same thing happend to us. We tried half regular and half AR. It was not pretty, practically projectile vomiting. I switched from AR to the lactose sensitive (which is super thin) and now added the rice cereal. so far, the spit up has been less than AR and I did notice results immediately like pp stated. Maybe worth a try! She will be ready for rice cereal in less than 4 weeks anyway. I do not plan on introducing other solids until at least 6 months. 

image     image

image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"