Pregnant after 35
Options

Progesterone Shots to Prolong Pregnancy?

I'm 39.  My first daughter was born at 33 weeks -- I went into early labor, for reasons nobody knows.  I'm pregnant now with our second daughter, and I'm taking weekly progesterone shots from weeks 18-36 to try to prevent early labor.  Has anyone else gone this route, and if so -- did it work?  I'm scared that this next baby might be born even sooner than the first, and I really want these shots to work!
BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Progesterone Shots to Prolong Pregnancy?

• Options

Sorry I can't help you on that one. I was on progesterone during the first tri only

• Options
    I did not personally, but two of my closest friends had to and it worked for both of them.  One delivered by c-section at 38 weeks as planned and one did go a little early, but it was after the shots were stopped around 36 weeks and she was perfect :)  HTH and GL!
    Mother of a beautiful little boy 11/01/07! Expecting #2 EDD 9/28/11 What a wonderful surprise!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had preterm contrax as early as 21 wks with my oldest and he was born just shy of 36 wks.     My dr put me on the 17 AHP weekly shots at the beginning of my second tri with my DD and stopped them around 32 wks I think.. Definitely worked. I had some slight preterm labor at 34 wks but I also took better care of myself with her and followed the dr's orders with bedrest, etc. She was born a few days before my due date.  

I am living in a different state now and have a new dr. I mentioned that I would like to have these shots again with this pg and he said we'd discuss it more at my next appt. He's quite familiar with them.

Apparently the cost of the shots are wayyyyyyyyy higher than they used to be since there is a company that has the rights to it now and you can no longer get it from a compounding pharmacy. This reminds me to call my insurance to see if they will cover the injections.

I didn't have any side effects from the shots, other than a sore bum for a few hours. I don't recall in my research prior to agreeing to take the shots finding any significant side effects. I won't lie, the injections were killer, like a dog biting me on the rump. It has to be injected into the muscle, not just below the skin. Having to go every week to the dr for a shot was a little inconvenient with my job at the time, but it was all totally worth it.     

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"