Special Needs
Options

Have you ever had to switch therapists?

Kai gets speech therapy once a week. 

The lady does alright I guess, but lately Kai has been resistant to doing anything that she is asking of him.  She always shows up late, and still calls him "Kyle" even after hearing me call him Kai (and saying "Oh, I keep calling him Kyle!  I know its Kai")

I'm just frustrated...

Rylee - 3.28.08
Malakai - 8.3.09
Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD

Re: Have you ever had to switch therapists?

• Options

We switched DS' speech therapist at about the one month mark.  The first person assigned was, a. only available after 4:30 pm weekdays, which was just a terrible fit for us, b. was a man.  DS did best in mornings and responded best to the ladies.  I gave it a shot with the first person but it was a flat out disaster.  So I said so, and asked for a new SLP.  The second person was a MUCH better fit. 

I looked at it like a counselor.  If you needed therapy, people would encourage you to find someone with whom you had a good fit. 

• Options
    You should definitely not feel bad about switching.  She really won't care honestly, and you want to get the best services you can for your child.  I really didn't like our OP and i mentioned it to the lady in charge and she immediately said I could have someone new if I wanted too, who was a better fit.  She wasn't hands on at all & just talked.  
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We switched DS's physical therapist after about 8 months. We kept trying to work with her, but he eventually got to a point where he cried every time he saw her. She was trying to do things that she thought he should be doing, instead of looking at where he was and trying to push him to the next level. She also wouldn't let us soothe him when he started to cry and instead took him herself. He hated her, so it just made it worse. She also made comments like that he was complaining to get out of doing something. My son was 5 months when she started to work with him and spent his first 3 1/2 months in the hospital very sick and sedated! If he cried, there was a medical reason for it! She was young and had no kids of her own, although she still should have known better.

Anyway, after I asked for the switch, we got this wonderful veteran therapist and everything has been great since! He works for her and she realizes his medical issues and works with him. Birth to 3 was hesitant to switch initially and said that most kiddos don't like their therapists because they make them work, but I finally got fed up and demanded it. Best thing we could have ever done for our DS! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"