Pregnant after 35
Options

Breast Pumps...

So, I had done all this research on breast pumps and my husband insisted it was time to go ahead and get one. We're getting close enough now that we could end up delivering anytime in the next couple of weeks.

I was originally going to get the Medela Free Style Dual Pump but after thinking about it for awhile, I decided to get the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Dual Pump.

They were both rated equally good by owners... and really the thing that pushed me to the Ameda was the fact that it's a "closed system" pump. So there is never a risk of bacteria/mold getting into the milk.

Have you guys made your choices yet? Using a pump from a previous child? Still contemplating what to do?

Lets discuss!

Oh and one more point... Both pumps were 50 dollars cheaper ordering from Amazon than getting from BRU. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Breast Pumps...

• Options
    Love Amazon for everything (we even put our baby registry on there....they carry stroller NO ONE else even HAS). In terms of the breast pumps...I used the Medela model for my girls. I had a breast reduction at age 21, so my milk production is usually only 50% (have to supplement right away)--but the Medela was recommended to me from my lactation consultant for best 'suction' (LOL--that sounds kind of hilarious). I would say it worked well and never had any issues with contamination. I will be interested to see what other Bumpies post. What do you think you'll go with?
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Options
    This is my first rodeo, so this breast bump stuff is all new to me.  I did add the Medela Pump to my registry. However, I am not expecting anyone to purchase it for us. We just want to get the completion discount. I never heard of the Ameda Pump so I will look into it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers/Users/udeozo/Desktop/MS30.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Fortunately someone got me the Medela Pump in Style from my registry.  It was highly recommended by most of my friends.  I haven't heard of any contamination issues at all, and the nurse leading my Breastfeeding class said Medela was one of the best as well.

My other girlfriend had her baby 4 weeks ago and is already pumping, but said that the Freestyle is fantastic.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I swear I was going to post this same question today .. lol

I haven't done any in-depth research, but I wanted to hear feedback from you ladies.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagecbkjwedding:

Fortunately someone got me the Medela Pump in Style from my registry.  It was highly recommended by most of my friends.  I haven't heard of any contamination issues at all, and the nurse leading my Breastfeeding class said Medela was one of the best as well.

My other girlfriend had her baby 4 weeks ago and is already pumping, but said that the Freestyle is fantastic.

::Butting in::  I used the Pump in Style from Medela from the time DD was 4 months old to almost a year and it was GREAT.  Never had any complaints.  I am not familiar with the other one (it might be great too). 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

The Medela has great ratings... and it's not a "common" occurrence to have contamination... but it's possible, which concerns me.

Here's an article on the difference between an "open" pump system and  "closed" one.

https://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/open_system_breastpumps_vs_closed_system_breastpumps_a/147.htm

• Options

McWitt, thanks for opening this discussion.I am a first timer too, so no previous experience with breast pumps, but we did some research...To me it sounds like Medela Free Style is the way to go. Most of the people I have asked have used Medela and they are were all happy with it (in terms of funcioning). Ameda might be as good, but I have not heard from anyone who has actually used it. I have not given a thought about contamination issues. Maybe I should.

For now I am not getting any breast pump. I am definitely planning on breastfeeding, but what if I won't be able to..? I will first see if I am, and then order a breast pump.

• Options

I have the Medela "Pump in Style" backpack.  I used it with all three of my boys and plan to use it again with this baby.  It pumps very quickly & made pumping at work so easy.  I ordered new tubing with each baby and bought the replacement parts kit (with each).  I followed the sterilizing instructions (exactly) & never had any problems with contamination. 

I've never heard of the other pump, but I'm sure it is great too!  I've had mine since 2004 when my oldest was born and it has held up perfectly.

Also...I HIGHLY recommend the Medela (microwave) sterilization bags.  You can get them at Babies R Us.  They are so easy to take to work, for travel, etc. when you need to quickly sterilize pump parts.  These were a lifesaver for me when I pumped at work!

Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options

With my last baby I used Medela, and it works awesome! I also haven't heard of the other type... I also never had contamination issues.

• Options

I have a Medela Pump in Style from 2003. I will use it for this child and buy all new parts. Because I was going to be pumping at work I wanted a pump that I could easily get parts for if something happened. At the time the only parts in the stores were Medela.

I loved the micro bags too.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Here are some interesting owner comments on each of the different brands:

https://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/breast-pump-reviews_a/183.htm

I am actually surprised at the number of low reviews on Medela. The ratings from Amazon owners are much higher.

This site does seem to have ratings on a multitude of brands though, which is nice. 

• Options

Has anyone ever rented a pump?  I see the Medela Symphony is listed as hospital-grade & available to rent.

• Options

I looked at cost briefly for rentals... it's VERY spendy.

https://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstation/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3399

Rental PlansStandard PlanSpecial Pre-paid PlanItemMinimumPer dayWorking Deposit Symphony7 days$3.00$200.00Pre-pay 90 days $195 NO REFUNDS ($2.16 per day)
    Pre-pay 180 days $300 NO REFUNDS ($1.67 per day)
    Classic7 days$3.00$200.00Pre-pay 90 days $195 NO REFUNDS ($2.16 per day)
    Pre-pay 180 days $300 NO REFUNDS ($1.67 per day)
    Lactina7 days$1.75$50.00Pre-pay 180 days $150 NO REFUNDS ($0.83) per day)

• Options

Dayum! That is expensive .. might as well purchase!

Thanks for the info.

• Options
    What about buying a used one and then buying new replacement parts?
  • Options
    I have my Medela Pump in Style from Margaux.  I really liked it, and if it holds up I'll use it again.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

After reading Baby Bargains, I decided to go with the Ameda. They basically said it was just as good as the Medela but a little cheaper. Their biggest argument for the Medela was that you could buy replacement parts in local stores, vs awaiting mail order for Ameda, but that's a non-issue in a town this size. I'll have to mail order regardless.

I haven't actually bought it yet. We're making our purchases in the order that we'll actually need things (starting with stuff that must be in the house when we return from the hospital, etc) and I'm apparently supposed to EBF about 3 weeks before attempting to pump, so it's far down on the list.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My plan was to EBF until I had to go back to work, then I'd pump.  Well, you know what they say about making plans...

I am now exclusively pumping while Milo is in the NICU (though he is finally able to bottle feed so I can start to BF --- but I have to wait until I am over this darned cold!).  While I was in the hospital after delivery, I used their Ameda hospital grade pump; not sure what model though.  They also have Ameda in the NICU.  They both worked ok, though it's really hard for me to assess since while I was pumping in the hospital I was not getting any milk yet (not even colostrum), just providing stimulation. 

My milk/colostrum came in, like clockwork, on the evening of Day 3, during my first session with my own pump.  I got the Medela Pump in Style.  I like it a lot, and actually find the parts easier to deal with (clean etc.) than the Ameda.  And yes, the micro steaming bags are fantastic.

One thing I do, to avoid condensation build-up in the tubing, is let the pump run for a couple of minutes after I'm done pumping and have disconnected the tubes from the collector.  The extra air action dries out the tubing. 

Ten months: Mr. Giggles!
    Photobucket
    A10 March Siggy: Next vacation - Maine!
    Photobucket

kikijbunny (formerly kikijbird)
    Our jbunny born April 17, 2011 at 34w 1d (EDD May 28) due to irritable ute + early dilation

Mommy Blog: And Baby Makes Pi
    Pregnancy/Baby Blog: Eggs Over Anxious
    BFP chart

Anniversary

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"