Pregnant after 35

Baby Shower question

It may sound funny, but I have not been to a baby shower yet. This morning, somehow I found out that people at work are organizing a surprise baby shower. I feel bad for finding out, but it was totally accidental and tomorrow I will have to BE surprised. Anyways...I have a few questions:

When am I supposed to open the presents? Are there some bon ton rules I should follow?

Advices are very much appreciated. Thanks girls!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Shower question

• Dress a little nicer than usual - someone will probably be taking pictures.  But otherwise just go with the flow!!

(and maybe go get some thank you cards tonight and be prepared to write them out and hand them out quickly...)

• I chose not to have a baby shower.

That said, my husband's co-workers are having a shower for him tomorrow and I somehow got roped into going with him.

They were all upset because we already have everything for the baby. But, I guess I'm an over achiever when it comes to planning Smile

At any rate, showers vary on the type. Being that it's a work shower... it should be relatively painless. A cake, some gifts, some thank yous and some "oohs and aahs".

Some baby showers have little games that the attendees play.

I would just let your host dictate when things happen and just smile, greet everyone and thank everyone for the "big surprise".

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Usually the hostess is responsible for the organization of things and will usually guide you.  You just have to show up really cute.
  • I agree with LauraL. Usually there is someone 'in charge' who sorta has a schedule of events. They'll play a few little games and everyone will eat cake. Usually (in my experience only)--presents are at the end. People like to see what you received and they pass around the cute little baby outfits etc. Have fun!
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • imagemcwhittaker:

At any rate, showers vary on the type. Being that it's a work shower... it should be relatively painless. A cake, some gifts, some thank yous and some "oohs and aahs".

I would just let your host dictate when things happen and just smile, greet everyone and thank everyone for the "big surprise".

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemcwhittaker:

Yes, mostly this. I was given a shower at work a few weeks ago and was really surprised at how generous how everyone was, especially since I have only been there since Jan. and I work in IT with mostly guys.

I just was thankful and sent a group email thanks for the group/team gift. And gave individual thank you notes for any personal gifts.

• Thanks ladies! So all I have to do is to chill out. That doesn't sound hard at all:) I will let you know how the shower tomorrow goes.
  • Everyone kinda summed it up. Act surprised, sit there, eat cake, be pretty and open gifts! there will be someone there to keep things movin... Have fun!!!
  • My office threw us a shower (it's a standard thing and on work time) two weeks ago. The only tricky part was gift opening. We weren't willing to just start tearing into bags and no one else was directing traffic. Finally someone random just told us to start because they were all done eating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"