July 2011 Moms
Options

Who is taking an iron supplement?

My OB recently prescribed an iron supplement and I was reading over the info that came with it yesterday.  I noticed it says to take it on an emtpy stomach with a full glass of water, don't lay down w/in 30 min of taking it and do not take it with antacids.  There were a few more warnings, but those were the ones that stood out to me.

I really need to call the pharmacist and find out about the antacid warning b/c I seriously need a Tums every single day, my heartburn is so bad.  Did your OB give you any special instructions/recommendations about taking your iron supplement? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who is taking an iron supplement?

• Options
    I was told to add it yesterday.  The nurse said to take it 12 hours after my pre-natal, to not eat dairy 30 minutes before or after and that it will likely make me constipated (which I am sure it will).  So I will be increasing my fiber intake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am but I took my first one today...Umm I hope thats not true b/c I'm with you on the heartburn/acid reflux.  I'm actually taking prilosec for it.  Let me know if you find anything out b/c My OB didn't tell me anything!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure at my next ob appointment she will tell i need to take one due to a recent hospitalization where they checked my iron levels and it was low. I took the same kind of iron supplement as the previous lady with the dairy restriction and it was a pain.So hopefully this time they won't prescribe that one again. But check with your ob she may be able to prescribe a different kind.
    Computer HopeBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I am now taking a liquid iron supplement, called Floradix. It's apparently more affective and has less side effects. I take it before I eat dinner.
  • Options
    I was put on one as well. I was not told by my MW or the pharmacist that I could not take it with certain things. I take a slow release tablet at night after dinner (when I remember to).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the only reason you aren't supposed to take an antacid is b/c it can interfere with the iron absorption. My Dr. told me to take mine with vitamin c or OJ and not to have calcium within an hour of taking the iron. Check with your pharmacists, but I would think you can still take tums, it's just best to not take tums and iron back to back. 
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am taking them.  I was not told any specific instructions this time (just take an iron supplement) nor was I told anything special when I took them when I was pregnant with DS.
  • Options

I have to take mine twice a day. Im allowed to eat but I have to be careful about calcium products close to taking it with at least 1 dose. I was also told to up my vitamin c & fiber.

Calcium= bad for iron absorbtion, vitamin c = good.

• Options
    imagemainemommy:

I have to take mine twice a day. Im allowed to eat but I have to be careful about calcium products close to taking it with at least 1 dose. I was also told to up my vitamin c & fiber.

Calcium= bad for iron absorbtion, vitamin c = good.

Exactly this for me.  I've been on 1 since my 12 week appt. After my 28 week appt my OB put me on a second dose. I take one in the AM and one at night.  I make sure to eat a lot of fiber and haven't had any constipation issues.  I do take the slow release once a day, but opted to buy the regular last time I was at Walgreens because it was buy on get on free. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    Wow I'm surprised it said not to take it with food. My experience with iron: NO dairy at all whatsoever anywhere around the time I take it. Otherwise I'll feel like I'm going to vomit for 45 min-1 hr. But, I have a sensitive tummy so I still needed to eat with it and drink a lot of water.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    me...just started this week after my Tues. OB appt; I wasn't given any special instructions.  
  • Options
    The only thing I do is take it in the evening (I take my PNV in the morning).  I don't lie down much anyway b/c of reflux.  I hadn't heard to take it on empty or to avoid dairy.  
  • Options
    My MW gave me information on iron & calcium. You shouldn't take iron with dairy because the iron and calcium bind to each other & your body cant absorb them as easily in supplement form, but if both are naturally occurring in a food it works fine. Vice versa, don't take a calcium supplement (like your prenatal) with an iron rich food. That's why you need to pick a prenatal with iron OR calcium, not both. I just take my prenatal with milk and my iron with water or juice, or any acidic food like tomatoes, one in the morning one at night. The iron does not upset my stomach or constipate me,but I may just be lucky. As for the antacid, that was not mentioned to me, though since Tums is calcium it would make since not to take too closely together. Also, if you cook in a cast iron skillet, your food will absorb the iron from the skillet (esp acidic foods like tomatoes) which is another good way to add iron to your diet. HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"