Cincinnati Babies
Options

Wedding gift questions

What is the norm to spend on a wedding gift (please don't feel like you have to tell me what you give, just a general ballpark range of what you or others you know typically give)

If you attend parties (engagement party, brideal showers, bachlorette/bachelor parties etc) does that play a role in how much you spend on the wedding gift?

Do you give less/more if you are in the wedding party? What about if your kids are in the wedding party?

Thank you!

Re: Wedding gift questions

• Options
    I am cheap, I'll admit (but also not in a position to shell out big bucks for each wedding we go to)... I tend to do $25 for showers and $50-75 on the wedding gifts depending on if they are family and how close we are.  If I go to multiple showers, I usually don't do as much on the wedding gift.  If I'm in the wedding party, I often try to pay for something wedding-related instead of getting a gift... like programs or invitations.  I haven't had a child in the party but if only my son was, I'd stick to my normal wedding gift amount, if not more.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I am cheap too-- We just cant afford to spend a ton on all the wedding we go to each year (which based on the stage we are in in our lives we are having upwards of like 5-10+ weddings a year, plus showers, engagement parties, etc.) I usually buy 1 bigger gift ($45-60, $75-100 if its family or a really close friend) and then 1 smaller gift ($25-35). I suppose I spend more if I am in the wedding party since usually if you are in someones wedding party you are really close with them or family. The most we ever spent on a wedding gift was $300 but that was for a couple that is our absolute best friend, DH lived with the guy for 4 years, I am best friends with the wife and as a wedding gift DH built them a new patio on the back of their house while they were on their honeymoon. It was an awesome surprise and we ended up spending $300 because that's how much money was still needed after pooling funds with a few other friends.

ETA: If I buy a gift for a bachelorette party I generally dont spend more than like $20-25. Unless the invite to the b-party says lingerie shower I dont buy a gift because usually its quite an expense to just GO to the bachelorette party (dinner, drinks, chipping in for a party bus, etc.) Those arent things we really have in our budget normally so it takes us moving some stuff around to have money to go-- and its usually even harder because DH often goes to the bachelor party while I am at the bachelorette party which means double the expense plus paying a sitter.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read somewhere that you are supposed to spend what you think the per person cost of the wedding is.  If it is $60/head, a $60 gift.  I dont' know how you determine that, but that is what the etiquette books say...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Depends on how close I am to the bride/groom, and my financial situation at that given moment, but I've spent anywhere from $25-$125+ for wedding gift.

The only pre-wedding "parties" I've been to where gifts were involved are bridal showers, and no, I don't make that a factor in how much I spend on the wedding gift.

I've only been in two wedding parties, and since those are (obviously) also the closest two people to me whose wedding's I've been to, they were also the most expensive gifts I purchased.

• Options
    I usually spend between $25-$50 for a shower gift (wedding or baby) and between $50-$100 on a wedding gift.  I wouldn't give less or more because any of us were in the wedding party.  Those expenses I count as different than a gift.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagepinkylu:
    I usually spend between $25-$50 for a shower gift (wedding or baby) and between $50-$100 on a wedding gift.  I wouldn't give less or more because any of us were in the wedding party.  Those expenses I count as different than a gift.

Pretty much this.

• Options
    imageTtimes3:

imagepinkylu:

Pretty much this.

Me too.

• Options

$25-$35ish on shower gifts

$100 on wedding gifts.

The amounts are the same regardless of relation or our involvement in the wedding. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"