Special Needs

Ear infection = asthma flare?

DS has been in and out of the ER and hospital over the past few months for breathing problems. Each time his breathing flares up, he has an ear infection. Can anyone explain more about this trigger/connection?

Today he also had his first seizure in 15 months. :( We were doing great on the asthma crisis plan, and then he had a 90 second seizure. So we rode in the ambulance again, since I did not know what was causing what.

At the ER they discovered an ear infection. He had been checked yesterday and Monday by 2 different doctors and told his ears were all clear. I can't believe how quickly these develop and start my little one gasping to breathe!

We think the seizure was a breakthrough due to his low dose of Keppra. He had not had his dosage upped since he was 10 months, and he has grown a good bit. So now we will give him more. 

Sorry for the long and rambling post. Just trying to understand this connection. We see an ENT next week. 

Re: Ear infection = asthma flare?

• I'm not sure about why the connection exists, but if DS is sick with anything, his asthma flares. Granted, his asthma is terrible and flares frequently even w/o illness, any type of illness will set it off. So, we are right there with you for that.

I hope he is feeling a bit better now!

• So sorry your little guy's asthma is not controlled. It has blown my mind how quickly a child can go from absolutely fine to in an ambulance due to breathing trouble.

He is breathing well now. We do Flovent every day and Prednisone for 5 days after a flare. I am kind of scared about what will happen when we stop the Prednisone. But I guess we will just take things one day at a time.

Thanks for your response. :) 

• Loading the player...
  • I hope that Flovent and the round of Prednisone work for him! We've seen a huge improvement with Flovent and Singulair, just not quite as much as we had hoped. Still working on things with his pulmonologist.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"