Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Rice Cereal in Bottle at 11Weeks Old???

My baby is 11 weeks. He is taking between 6-7 oz of formula every 3 hours. (even at night) I am lucky to get a four hour strech some times. I am told that if you put a tiny dash of rice cereal in the bottle(enough to thicken the formula) he will sleep longer at night? Any one else tried this and did it work?

Re: Rice Cereal in Bottle at 11Weeks Old???

• My baby is only a month old and I've already been doing that. You may also want to try bath, bottle and bed. Use the bedtime bath wash and lotion. My sweetie sleeps 6 hours at night!
  • You just posted this.

Talk to your pediatrician. Most do not recommend cereal in a bottle so young unless there are reflux/other medical issues.

FWIW, I wouldn't do it. There's no guarantee that it will help your baby sleep better and his stomach is not ready for the thick formula - you may be doing more harm than good.

I know the first few months are hard and it's tempting to do whatever you can to help them sleep, but that will come with time. 

• Loading the player...
  • I would not.  Their digestive systems are not ready for solids yet. LO will sleep through the night when they are ready.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMcKenzieM919:
    I would not.  Their digestive systems are not ready for solids yet. LO will sleep through the night when they are ready.

This.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • There are older babies on three solid meals a day plus formula/BM that STILL don't STTN.  Cereal isn't going to help a baby do what it isn't going to do and like another poster said, you might even be asking for worse sleep with baby's upset stomach.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Rice in bottles to aid sleeping is a very old school method.  Please call your pedi.  My kiddo sleeps 8-9 hours per night, no rice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You need to ask your pedi.

Mine would scoff at this. But she is quite holistic in her approaches (which works out great for me). 

And this is freshman psych for you, but sleep is about natural biological rhythms, not how much food is in their tummies. 

Mine is EBF and sleeps 10-12 hours a night and has since 4 months. It just takes time. 

• when I talked to my doc about this he told me that when you do this it puts them in a deeper sleep and puts the baby at a higher risk of sids.
  • I wouldnt... my LO is on a rice formula for severe AR per her Dr's orders.... gives them a higher chance of wicked constipation.... no bueno... don't risk hurting your baby just for a good nights sleep....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"