Preemies

New here and wondering about first attempt at bottlefeeding.

Hi, I just had my daughter two weeks ago. She came when I was at work and had no way of stopping my labor which only took around 10 minutes. She had already entered the world by the time the EMTs arrived at my work. She came out screaming.  She came at 30 weeks and 2 days and weight 3 lb 13oz. She was giving a bottle for the first time yesterday and only took about 7cc out of her 32 cc feeding. She has been making wonderful progress. She was in an isolate until two days ago and has been able to hold her own body heat and is now at 4lbs.  I know every baby is different, but I was just wondering how other preemies handled there first attempt with a bottle. Her heart rate was good and she remembered to breath but she would wait till she has a mouth full before swallowing.

Re: New here and wondering about first attempt at bottlefeeding.

• Wow!  That's a crazy birth story!  I'm so glad you are both doing ok now.

As for bottle feeding, it sounds like she did great for her first try.  I'm surprised they even tried the entire 32 cc's.  For my LOs first attempts, they only put 5 cc's in the bottle, then slowly increased it each day as long as he was handling it ok.  The suck/swallow/breath reflex usually doesn't kick in until about 34/35 weeks, and your LO is only 32 weeks now.  So, just take it slowly, and don't get discouraged if it takes awhile for her to get the hang of it!  Sounds like she is doing great!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OMG, that's so crazy! You must have been terrified.

My DD was born at 33w6d and I'm not sure how much she took at her first feeds, but I do remember that once she figured it out, she was able to just suddenly take all her feeds by mouth. I've heard that's pretty common for preemies. Hang in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, what an amazing birth story! They didn't introduce a bottle to DS until he was 34w and it was very slowly.  But as PP said, once he really started getting the hang of it, he took all of his feedings by bottle.
    image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"