Natural Birth

Blue Cohosh?

Did anyone use it? When did you take it(40 weeks, 41 weeks)?  How effective was it?  Any side effects?  I've been looking up as much info. as I can about it, just thought I'd get some other moms opinions!!!  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Blue Cohosh?

• I started taking it at 41 weeks on a Tuesday and she was born on Saturday. Had contractions all day Friday but they weren't bad, and then went into labor 11pm Friday night.

I'm not 100% positive that was what did it since I was so far along, but I would do it again. Find something yummy to put it in though, because it doesn't have a pleasant taste.

• I definitely wouldn't do it without careful guidance from your care provider. It can be pretty powerful stuff.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCaseBride:
    I definitely wouldn't do it without careful guidance from your care provider. It can be pretty powerful stuff.

Agreed. It was midwife approved. :)

• My midwife was talking about my starting it at my 40 week app. if I wanted to. I guess I'm not sure if I want to or not!
  • imageCaseBride:
    I definitely wouldn't do it without careful guidance from your care provider. It can be pretty powerful stuff.

Just like someone wouldn't do pitocin without a HCP, you really shouldn't do blue and black cohosh on your own.  Be careful as it's very strong and can cause fetal distress if the contractions are too much.

Is there a reason to do it so soon at 40 weeks?  There are milder ways to help prepare your cervix and induce labor that are options to discuss with your midwife.

• kxp004kxp004 member

I haven't asked my MW specifically about this but all it says in my folder is:

to be used in the last few weeks of pregnancy only; to ease and/or induce labor

IDK if that helps since it is pretty basic info

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"